Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What is that title? Is the person that holds this tile the same thing as a Visual Designer or might it be something more? Or less? o_O

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I was told that the Graphic Designer title, is a more of a technician's title, not so much one of a creative artist's. A Graphic Designer knows more technical stuff, how to prepare the final layout etc., Layouts are crafted and handed over from a Visual Designer, so the GD will prepare them for print or finalisation in a way. No?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I was told that the Graphic Designer title, is a more of a technician's title, not so much one of a creative artist's. A Graphic Designer knows more technical stuff, how to prepare the final layout etc., Layouts are crafted and handed over from a Visual Designer, so the GD will prepare them for print or finalisation in a way. No?
That’s not true at all.

Reactions: fig

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona

Graphic Designer, Visual Designer, Art Director... they're all the same thing, and they can be done without ever touching a computer. Most of them (designers, art directors, etc. are barely competent in using Adobe apps. They know just enough to get by. What you're talking about is a Production Artist.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Graphic Designer, Visual Designer, Art Director... they're all the same thing, and they can be done without ever touching a computer.
Without touching a computer? How can that be?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Graphic design has existed for far longer than computers have. Design is a thing in itself that has nothing to do with computers at all.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
"Design" isn't about using a computer. The computer is just a tool. Using a hammer doesn't make you a construction worker and most definitely not an architect. Design is about communicating a message visually. It's about an idea or concept.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Graphic Designer, Visual Designer, Art Director... they're all the same thing, and they can be done without ever touching a computer. Most of them (designers, art directors, etc. are barely competent in using Adobe apps. They know just enough to get by. What you're talking about is a Production Artist.
Um, I don't know where you work, but all the designers and art directors I know are quite competent in the Adobe suite.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Um, I don't know where you work, but all the designers and art directors I know are quite competent in the Adobe suite.
Most of the places I have worked for and with are fairly high-end agencies and individual companies. The type of places who don't start sentences with the word "Um."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.