Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
No, its not sitting on my lap because I have a feeling my warmpht could contribute to it. I'm thinking that it's only because of the warmph of the athmosphere arround my house (aka weather) and the fan is sensing the added heat. No, I can't get the "X pad" at the moment, but I will when I can get out. i thought it was me at first, so I removed from my lap and put it on my kitchen table. (Minus a table cloth... I figured that could help a little.) Anyway, there is still a very faint rumble of a fan... or 'whirring', whatever. Since I don't have an x pad yet, is that what is going on?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ApplFTW

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
They just get very hot, and apple did a bad job designing how they get cooled. As long as I don't watch any video, it stays relatively warm...but fire up a video and there go the 800 degree temps on the bottom.

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thanks, everybody... I keep my fan on as low as possible, but to keep it cool, because I have a feeling that there is build-up or a collection of dust. Since I am not too much of a 'vetran' mac user. I have a feeling somehow maybe I cut off the 'circulation' of the fans. I don't know where the fan or fans are, but I make sure I don't have the screen pushes all the way open. It's slightly sitting up and if you were to look at it on the side, it almost represents a 90 degree angle.

Thank you.

PS.
Considering what I originally wrote, would it still be a good idea to invest in the... X pad. I think that is what it's called. I have been thinking about it but can't do this at the moment, but I will if you all reccomend it.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
We roast marshmallows on my MBP and sing songs around it. You wouldn't believe how fast those marshmallows get toasted though at 800c...

Spiral21x

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
Still using a 17inch 2008, pre-unibody. It's like working in front of a toaster oven half the time. Outside right now its about 88°F. I'm in the shade on a table, the heat radiating off is enough that it's uncomfortable just keeping my hands over the machine as I type this. The fan's are basically at normal speed so the machine isn't even really hotter than usual. Part of the reason why I keep it docked usually and use another keyboard, mouse, or tablet. Still runs pretty good though so I can't completely complain. I kind do expect the thing to just melt itself one of these days. That reminds me, maybe time to clean some dust out.. so ready to sell it and get a new AIR though!

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
just vacuumed the back with a vacuum hose. 48 degrees!!

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
just vacuumed the back with a vacuum hose. 48 degrees!!

The fans are inside the machine and push the air out through the back; when you open the lid you create the vent for the air to escape. It's best to use a flat, hard surface when using your computer. If I'm at my friend's and I don't have a table, i go and get a skinny, hard-backed book or something to ensure air flow. NEVER on my lap/pants/sheets.

Air gets into the machine through the keys so you don't have to worry about blocking it coming in.

But yea, make sure you keep it ventilated and as long as it stays under 90 degrees C, you should be fine.

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Right now, the temperature flucutates between 40-50 degrees C. I just sat down. I think it's because I haven't been sitting here all day long and the fan (living room) is running. :) The fan 'buzz' is a bit annoying, it happens time to time. Since I just cleaned it out today, should I clean it out again tommorow to make sure EVERY dust particle is out, just to be on the safe side. I don't know if I still want to take it in somewhere to check the fan(s) to make sure they are all clean.

Asside of the "wzzzzz", I am a 'happy camper'. (It sounds like its comming from the top left corner. I thought it was my cd-drive. The sounds too high in the corner.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.