Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lermal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Florida
Curious, how long do you think it’ll take Apple to transition the iPad Pro to the new A11 chip? Think we’ll see it relatively quickly (e.g. once iPhone 8 is released)?

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Curious, how long do you think it’ll take Apple to transition the iPad Pro to the new A11 chip? Think we’ll see it relatively quickly (e.g. once iPhone 8 is released)?
The current iPad Pro's released 3 months ago in June with the A10X and unlike the iPhone 7's A10, the X variant is using an all new 10nm process. The new A11 will utilize the same 10nm process but with a newer 5th generation off the chip architecture. To answer your question though we will see the A11X debut next June with the next refresh of the iPad Pro line of tablets. We actually will probably see the A11 debut next March withthe 2018 refresh of the iPad (2017).
[doublepost=1504490835][/doublepost]
A11 in March 2018 iPad refresh with the A11X in the June 2018 iPad Pro refresh

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
If Apple feels that the current iPad Pros can make it for longer than one whole year (which is very possible considering how long the first-gen 12.9" one lasted), then it's possible the next generation ones be released after the 2018 iPhones, so they might go from the A10X to an A12X. I mean, the A10X is already kind of an A11X in a way, since it's a 10nm chip, unlike the A10.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
June next year. The iPad Pros will have yearly cycle like the iPhone.
A10X is awesome, but Apple will be pushing the silicon further with AR.
[doublepost=1504494444][/doublepost]
A11 in March 2018 iPad refresh with the A11X in the June 2018 iPad Pro refresh
I doubt the regular iPad will get A11. It will be getting the A10 instead. Seems like Apple is segmenting the iPad lineup with the Pros getting the latest and greatest, and the plain iPad getting last gen's silicon.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
If Apple feels that the current iPad Pros can make it for longer than one whole year (which is very possible considering how long the first-gen 12.9" one lasted), then it's possible the next generation ones be released after the 2018 iPhones, so they might go from the A10X to an A12X. I mean, the A10X is already kind of an A11X in a way, since it's a 10nm chip, unlike the A10.
Good point but let me counter with how every year MacBook Pro's receive the newest generation of the intel processor, I see no reason why Apple wouldn't want to maintain that same forward momentum with the iPad line, especially if they are getting serious about iOS on the iPad, and I think they are.
[doublepost=1504497697][/doublepost]
I doubt the regular iPad will get A11. It will be getting the A10 instead. Seems like Apple is segmenting the iPad lineup with the Pros getting the latest and greatest, and the plain iPad getting last gen's silicon.
That's a good point, I forgot how they staggered it like that "DOH"

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Good point but let me counter with how every year MacBook Pro's receive the newest generation of the intel processor, I see no reason why Apple wouldn't want to maintain that same forward momentum with the iPad line, especially if they are getting serious about iOS on the iPad, and I think they are.
True, but then again, Apple has skipped Intel generations in the past, such as Skylake in the 21.5" iMacs.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016

I don't see any indication that the next 12.9 Peo shows up any earlier than the last refresh. I don't think there is sufficient growth in the tablet market to predict any quicker release cycles.

I also think that Apple is as serious as ever about iOS. iPad or not. Just because it gains some new features this year, after some disappointing releases lately, doesn't mean it's going to change the tablet landscape significantly.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Agreed - judging by the screen technology used in non-Pro iPad, I don’t see Apple outfitting them with the latest/best anything going forward

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.