Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
I am finally moving into a house with space to set up a makeshift studio corner and learn some off camera flash techniques. I have been keeping my eyes on craigslist for good deals, and found the following... What do you guys think about these deals?

Interfit EXD200 Lighting Kit for $350
NOVATRON 1000 STUDIO LIGHTING KIT WITH CASE for $500

OR

Should I just buy something like AlienBees B400 units?
The site has a package deal with 2 400 units, 2 stands, and 2 umbrellas for $600.

Would a novice such as myself notice the difference in quality enough to justify the higher price?

PS If anybody wants to post pics of your studio/lighting set ups/spaces please do so! I would love to see what you guys are working with

CaseyPrice

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2010
East Kentucky
First strobes on a budget

Im also looking to buy a set of off camera flashes on a budget. Any ideas? I would like to spend less than $500. - Thanks

mahood

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
UK
I am finally moving into a house with space to set up a makeshift studio corner and learn some off camera flash techniques.

I can't comment on the prices you've found but do you really need 'studio' strobes? If you're looking to learn, a couple of cheap flash guns would be simpler and a LOT cheaper, and any principles and skills you learn would be transferrable to 'proper' lights. Plus they're portable, so you can use them anywhere you like...

Just my 2c worth.

Mark

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Go with the Alien Bees, the Novatrons are too powerful for a small space and nowhere near adjustable enough. Find some reflective/shoot-through combo umbrellas on Amazon to go with the lights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.