Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oclyke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Hello everyone,
I've enjoyed finding information from the well informed users of Mac Rumors for several years of mac ownership, and now I have run across a question that the internet does not readily have the answer to, so I've finally made an account (so thanks to everyone who has helped me in the past, and thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this question!)

I've had "VirusBarrier" installed since my first MBP (it was around 2012 or so). This is the application from their website (rather than newer one in the app store, if it is any different). Long ago the subscription expired but the software continues to scan my files from time to time. Today was the first time that it has ever found anything -- but the results are suspect to me. Show below is the window that appeared:

"https://imgur.com/a/YTTqI"
YTTqI

view

I've searched to find out what the file "ABP.A" is. That is really the heart of my question.

According to the dialogue box this file is located in the path "/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS" but when I check (in Finder as well as through the terminal all I see in that directory is an executable "Finder."

I find it hard to believe VirusBarrier when it is telling me that this file, that appears to the untrained eye (me) to be some important part of Finder, is malware.

Some context:
I recently updated to HighSierra (Version 10.13.1 (17B48)). Since then or shortly afterward I have had trouble with my computer becoming very bogged down--specifically it is most noticeable when trying to change desktops (4 finger swipe). I had attributed this to "new OS blues."
I feel fairly comfortable with the computer and I often download programs without a certificate from Apple (though I do my best diligence to make sure I trust the source). I can't think of any unidentified programs that I downloaded shortly prior to updating the OS and experiencing the slow down.
I did find some kind of link between "ABP" and "Adblock Plus" which I have installed as a Chrome extension. Perhaps there is a link there?

Again: my question is "what is the 'ABP.A' file?" Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and I would appreciate any advice/insight.

My hardware:
OS Version: 10.13.1 (17B48)
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7

*another oddity: VirusBarrier only allows me the option to "trust" the file (a step I am not ready to take so far) but I cannot close the dialogue. I have force-quit the actual VirusBarrier application yet the dialogue remains. Could it be that the dialogue is actually the malware itself?

- Sincerely,
Paranoid

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.