Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I freeze my credit. I got an invite for Apple Card today, so I put a temporary lift on my credit and applied. I got an offer and accepted. I figured by this point they should have run a credit check as why offer a card without doing so, so I refroze my credit. Imagine my surprise when about an hour later I got a notification from TransUnion that they blocked a request from Goldman Sachs because my credit was frozen.

I called Apple Card support and they told me my card was active and looked good. They said if there’s an issue they will email or call me. So basically I activated the Apple Card without a hard credit check. I haven’t tried using the card yet though.

I’m pretty sure that’s going to cause some kind of problem. Anyone familiar enough to tell me what to expect?

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I did the exact same thing Wednesday, unfroze it to apply and immediately froze it, then 2 hours later they attempted a hard pull which was blocked. I called Goldman Sachs that afternoon and they said do not worry. I got my card today. No issues and been using it daily since approved Wednesday

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I did the exact same thing Wednesday, unfroze it to apply and immediately froze it, then 2 hours later they attempted a hard pull which was blocked. I called Goldman Sachs that afternoon and they said do not worry. I got my card today. No issues and been using it daily since approved Wednesday

I actually find that more troubling as it basically means Goldman Sachs will issue a credit card in someone’s name with nothing more than a soft credit inquiry, which credit freezes don’t block. It also goes against their own terms of service agreement.

A credit freeze is designed to prevent criminals from opening lines of credit in your name as it blocks the hard credit inquiry (normally) needed when applying for credit.

If Goldman Sachs (and other Banks) will issue credit cards without running a credit check that means a credit freeze will not prevent identity theft.

Edit:

This might just be Goldman Sachs though. I can also tell you that all that’s needed to authorize you with Apple Card support so they can look at your account is the phone number, name and birthday on the account. All of which is public information.

Reactions: ob81 and Chung123

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014

Ditto, the same thing happened to me.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
You all likely got approved on a soft pull. Hard pulls can sometime take up to a day to process. Bad things do show up in a soft pull.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Wouldn't unfreezing something just to apply be kind of a work around ?

Isn't there a reason why they get frozen ? I wouldn't except any continued success from this. It just sounds like your not going in to get something resolved first..

I actually find that more troubling as it basically means Goldman Sachs will issue a credit card in someone’s name with nothing more than a soft credit inquiry, which credit freezes don’t block. It also goes against their own terms of service agreement.

A credit freeze is designed to prevent criminals from opening lines of credit in your name as it blocks the hard credit inquiry (normally) needed when applying for credit.

If Goldman Sachs (and other Banks) will issue credit cards without running a credit check that means a credit freeze will not prevent identity theft

Can't say for Goldman Sachs, but with my bank they always do credit checks.. To me, it would be outrangious if a bank didn't do their job regardless..

That would be moving into a home without filling in the proper paperwork.

Last edited:

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR

If Goldman Sachs (and other Banks) will issue credit cards without running a credit check that means a credit freeze will not prevent identity theft.

Edit:

This might just be Goldman Sachs though. I can also tell you that all that’s needed to authorize you with Apple Card support so they can look at your account is the phone number, name and birthday on the account. All of which is public information.

A credit freeze restricts access to your credit report. It does not “prevent criminals from opening lines of credit in your name,” nor does it prevent creditors from extending credit. No credit bureau represents that a credit freeze does that.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
A credit freeze restricts access to your credit report. It does not “prevent criminals from opening lines of credit in your name,” nor does it prevent creditors from extending credit. No credit bureau represents that a credit freeze does that.

While technically true, almost all reputable companies offering credit won’t do so without a credit report. Apparently Goldman Sachs doesn’t care. They are simply taking what they learned from issuing subprime mortgages and applying it to credit cards.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/business/apple-card-requirements-low-credit-score/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.