Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
Hello,

I recently moved to China from Germany and bought the new iPhone 11 Pro Max here. Now I had to find out the hard way, that FaceTime Audio is not working on Chinese iPhones. Thankfully I don't have to use it exclusively, but I do want to have access to it, especially when I want to call friends and family on their Apple devices.

Is there any possibility of reactivating FaceTime Audio? Perhaps at an Apple Store in Japan or Germany? As far as I understand, its a software and not a hardware limitation, am I correct? I did try changing my location and also restoring the iPhone 11 with a backup made on my German iPhone X - no luck though.

Thankfully, that has been the only convenience wrecking difference I found :D

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
These are the restriction with models in China. It is possibly hardware and software (carrier) related to this specific region. However, you can try a non-China model.

FaceTime Audio is not supported in China mainland.

Group FaceTime is not supported in China mainland.

eSIM is not supported in China mainland.

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
If its carrier related, the only thing I would have to do is to insert a German sim card, possibly in Germany, and wait for some sort of carrier update, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.