Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcalict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
I purchased a used iPad mini 6 Cellular from a website, which cannot be activated as it's stuck in an Activation Required > Dismiss pop-up loop (the pop-up occurs at the end of the activation process just after the iPad home page briefly appears). Multiple attempts, WiFi and Cellular, different WiFi's, update/reinstall thru Mac/iTunes, with Apple online support and in-store, all no luck. The last Apple rep felt since they'd ruled everything else out, that he "thought" it was likely still tied to an MDM system. Also, the warranty is expired, so they have no other latitude to help. I completely understand.

Let me add -- there are no other pop-ups or text that indicate the device is owned by another org, or under it's "control."

Q1.) If anyone has MDM experience, does the Apple rep's hypothesis match reality?

Q2.) In the future, is there any way to vet such a lock on a product prior to purchase (if the purchase isn't in-person, say via website)? What I mean is, I ran multiple different checks to confirm no FindMy, no iCloud locks, clean IMEI, no blacklists. I suspect there's no central DB for MDM locks, as each MDM instance is likely self-contained within each company. And if Apple somehow can tell the unit is MDM locked, none of their reps thus far have cared to state so or reveal anything. Generally they weren't 100% sure, but seemed logical as everything else had been ruled out.

Q3.) Since my visit to the Apple store, I've run across a few references online claiming you can submit requests to Apple to somehow unlock a MDM'd device, by providing a proof of purchase. I gather it's quite a gamble/definite MAYBE/more than likely NOT approved or totally heresay. Has anyone ever heard of this or attempted it? I have a proof of purchase, and unfortunately cannot return the iPad (all sales final).

I'll likely have to sell it for parts, but am trying to learn from this experience to avoid getting burned in the future. Live and learn!

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
In another thread revolving around MDM, some forum members suggest an Apple device can be “supervised”. That is, a device that is enrolled into a system to be centrally Managed. Normal MDM profile would go away at an instant on full wipe. Supervised device however, might still retain that status despite being restored To “factory settings“.
Dunno if you have tried DFU but that might worth a shot if you haven’t tried that Already.
For in-person purchase, you can ask the seller to wait for the full wipe to be finished and you get through initial setup phase before paying money. Unfortunately, there’s little we can do if the device is purchased online From places other than Apple.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
In another thread revolving around MDM, some forum members suggest an Apple device can be “supervised”. That is, a device that is enrolled into a system to be centrally Managed. Normal MDM profile would go away at an instant on full wipe. Supervised device however, might still retain that status despite being restored To “factory settings“.
Sounds like they’re trying to describe “Automated Device Enrollment” which will get the MDM during setup.

mcalict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Yeah I suspect that device is subject to Automated Device Enrolment rather than run-of-the-mill MDM profile that gets loaded after the setup.

During setup I was finally able to get into the iPad by keeping WiFi OFF with a TMO SIM card inserted. Weird.

From Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management, there are no profiles at all.
I'm under the impression if the device was subject to AED there would be a Profile? Is this correct?

Regarding "Supervision"...
From Settings > General > About, Apple says to look for a line of text under the name of the device: “This [iPhone] [iPad] is supervised." There's nothing like that.

There's also no statements from the iPad lock screen that the device is owned or managed by anyone.
And there are no iCloud locks.

Additional thoughts anyone?

mcalict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Here's the next learning...

I put a Verizon SIM card, from my phone, in the iPad. I left WiFI OFF.

An Activate eSIM came up on the device (I grabbed this screen-shot from my phone).
So I activated it.

IMG_3359.JPG

However, as you can see from the Cellular Data tab that although AT&T was supposedly activated, there are no Cellular "bars" in the upper right.

IMG_3360_mod.png

IMG_3361.JPG

I thought - well maybe there's been an outstanding eSIM activation request that just needs to be processed. Since that was completed and there's no active service), I'll delete the eSIM profile. So I did.

I haven't seen the AT&T activation pop-up return.

I wonder if there's still a request on the AT&T server side, thus the "Activation Required" Dismiss, pop-up?

Here's what's also strange -- as long as I keep WiFi OFF, *and* keep a TMO SIM card in it, I can use the iPad. If I remove a SIM card, it goes back to the Activation Loop. Once I put a TMO SIM back in it, it finishes the activation process (again) and I can get back into the iPad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.