Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spock74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2015
I have a Heiyo Amber stylus, which is sort of a cross between an active and a passive stylus in that it is powered but doesn’t require any additional software or a Bluetooth connection to the device. In the Amazon listing for the item it specifies that it is compatible only with iOS devices, which is obviously not true since it doesn’t require those things, but that’s what they tell people; I’m assuming as a CYA-type measure. Regardless, I have been using it with my iPad and my Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime, as well as occasionally with an older LG VK810 4G and until recently it has worked like a charm on all of them.

However, a couple of weeks ago it just stopped working on my iPad. Basically I dozed off for a while and when I woke up it no longer worked. I tried: charging both the stylus and the iPad; a hard reset of the iPad; replacing the tip of the stylus; invoking the name of the ****; and various other things. When I tried it on my phone and my other tablet it worked fine and still does. I contacted Heiyo through Amazon but unfortunately I mentioned that it worked on my phone so they’re not interested in helping me. Does anyone have any ideas about what I could try? I can’t for the life of me figure out what could have happened.

Thanks!

~Edit: Since the original posting I have tried both a settings reset and a full factory reset, setting it up as a new iPad. Neither the atomic nor the WOPR-style Global Thermonuclear War options yielded positive results, other than cleaning some excess crap from deleted apps off of the iPad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.