Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Here's the problem. I had to restore my Mac from backup that is being used to share movies/tv/music to KODI around the house. Unfortunately, it was a version just before KODI went to requiring names/passwords. I created a user for sharing only. This worked fine. The problem is something wasn't working and I tried deleting all the shared folders and starting over in the Sharing preference pane. Now I have this weird situation where if I add new locations that weren't there before, they work fine from KODI, but the old directories are saying "Operation Not Permitted".

I had a previous experience where a folder that wasn't visible created a new link "Drive (2)" instead of just "Drive" and the only way I could erase the old entry was to connect the old drive or something weird like that. Clearly, these files are stored somewhere in the operating system and being able to wipe it completely and start from a new list might solve problems like this, but I don't know what file that would actually be. I'm also not sure if this is the same problem. But the one drive that IS working is one that had the "Drive (2)" listed in there. I deleted that and put in the new one and voila that's the only one working now. The new ones match the old names in all likelihood so I'm guessing despite the fact they appear to have the same names, there's some kind of difference that it's not set to take the sharing account name and they return an error. I'm really not quite sure, though since it seems a bit different, but it can't be a coincidence that the only drive KODI can access is the brand new entry.

I've also found if I use the server name instead of the numerical address, I can access all the shares from KODI (the numerical address works fine from another Mac, however whereas it gives an "Operation Not Permitted" error from KODI). The problem there is that all my customized databases (adding "Director's Cut" or "(Atmos)" tags to filenames (because KODI can't recognize Atmos sound being present in the files yet; it just passes them on), etc. would have to be all redone if I started from scratch using that (or NFS). I want to avoid that, but it seems like whatever the problem is here it's invisible in the regular preference pane, which just shows the entries I added, but I suspect there are duplicates hidden from view or something based on the odd behavior. But it might be something else entirely. It's pretty frustrating because it should "just work" and it's not.

EDIT: I found the problem, finally. It seems I didn't remember the password I gave the sharing account and it didn't match the old one and despite wiping out the primary network location and creating a new one, KODI didn't update the password stored and was using the old one rather than the brand new one I just gave it (KODI bug as far as I'm concerned). In any case, the passwords are listed in the .XML file and so I changed it to the old one and all is now fine in Wonderland. Hopefully, this will help someone that runs into a similar problem at some point.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.