Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defce74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
Hi I recently acquired a G5 powermac which has a GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. I have 2 monitors with DVI inputs and wish to use them both with my G5, if possible. the FX 5200 has one DVI output, and one ADC (Apple Display Connector) output. So I purchased an ADC to DVI adapter cable, but it doesn't seem to work. the G5 detects that the second monitor is present, but there is no display. the monitor in question is a Dell 2407WFHPC and works fine when connected to the DVI output.

Any help appreciated!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi I recently acquired a G5 powermac which has a GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. I have 2 monitors with DVI inputs and wish to use them both with my G5, if possible. the FX 5200 has one DVI output, and one ADC (Apple Display Connector) output. So I purchased an ADC to DVI adapter cable, but it doesn't seem to work. the G5 detects that the second monitor is present, but there is no display. the monitor in question is a Dell 2407WFHPC and works fine when connected to the DVI output.

Any help appreciated!
When you say cable do you mean an actual cable?

I ask, because our work G5 has a video card with DVI and ADC ports. We use this to convert the ADC to DVI (it came with the Mac).

adc-dvi-400x400.jpg

defce74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
When you say cable do you mean an actual cable?

I ask, because our work G5 has a video card with DVI and ADC ports. We use this to convert the ADC to DVI (it came with the Mac).

adc-dvi-400x400.jpg
yes! thats the exact cable/adapter I purchased

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is it possible that the display is set at a resolution currently that the graphics card cannot display?

You could try resetting PRAM. CMD+P+R immediately after the Mac chimes. Keep holding it down until it chimes again. Keep holding the keys down until it's chimed another two times then let go.

defce74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
Hi eyoungren, firstly thanks for your help.. ok so I've reset the NVRAM and played around with different resolutions but no luck. according to

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_2.0_dp_2.html

my graphics card should support 2 displays at 1920x1200 anyway. here is my graphics display profile:

sysProfile.jpg

so both monitors are detected, the only difference I can see is that "quartz extreme" is not supported on the second monitor. not sure if this is relevant to the problem or not.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do you have another type display to test? Perhaps it might be the monitor.

Some Google revealed that another person had a similar issue with dual displays of the same type, but one did not work with the ADC/DVI connector. Plugging in an entirely different display worked. At least if you can test with a different display and it works we can rule out the card and the adapter.

This card also has only 64MB so you may wish to upgrade it at some point.

defce74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2017
ok, I don't have another display handy, but might be able to borrow one from somewhere. could you send me the link you found regarding the other person who was having issues? because I was unable to find anything.

also, I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card to something with dual DVI outputs, for example a ATI Radeon 9600 PRO.. I found one on ebay but it's pricey, they cost not much less than what I paid for the G5.. so it is a last resort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.