Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I want to add custom ringtones to macOS Big Sur, not my iPhone or iPad, which already have these tones.

Basically I have my MacBook Air 2020 (M1) set up so when I received phone calls the Mac rings using WiFi calling. The problem is that it uses "Opening" for all my contacts that have custom ringtones on my iPhone. I can pick one of the standard ring tones on the Mac, but not any custom ones. Trying to change it on the Mac, actually changes it on my iPhone and have to change it back there, but that doesn't sync over to MacOS properly since it can't find the ring tone.

I found some old instructions about modifying system files, which isn't even possible in Big Sur. Is there a simple way to add custom ringtones to MacOS?

Greyland

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2017
Eugene OR
I know how to add sounds to MacOS. However, those only show up as System sounds, or notification sounds. I want the additional sounds I have installed (Users/<name>/Library/Sounds) to also be available as custom ring tones and/or text tones in the Contacts App in MacOS.

In other words, since almost everything syncs via iCloud, why not the sounds we have for each contact between Mac, iPhone, iPad, etc.?

In other words, add syncing to our our Mac's.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
I want to add custom ringtones to macOS Big Sur, not my iPhone or iPad, which already have these tones.

Basically I have my MacBook Air 2020 (M1) set up so when I received phone calls the Mac rings using WiFi calling. The problem is that it uses "Opening" for all my contacts that have custom ringtones on my iPhone. I can pick one of the standard ring tones on the Mac, but not any custom ones. Trying to change it on the Mac, actually changes it on my iPhone and have to change it back there, but that doesn't sync over to MacOS properly since it can't find the ring tone.

I found some old instructions about modifying system files, which isn't even possible in Big Sur. Is there a simple way to add custom ringtones to MacOS?
I've just come across the same limitation. My iPhone is set up to allow "Calls on Other Devices" but I can't get my MacBook Pro to use the same custom ringtone that I have for a particular contact on my iPhone.

My Users/<name>/Library/Sounds is empty and adding the custom sound in .mp3, .m4r and .m4a formats is still not available in Contacts.

Last edited:

Morac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
I’ve determined that Apple doesn’t care about the Mac. There’s less working features than on the iPad and iPhone.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Putting an AIFF-formatted file into ~/Library/Sounds does show up in System Preferences → Sounds and in Mail settings, but not in Messages or Contacts. Neither does an audio file (AAC/.m4r, AIFF or CAF) in ~/Library/CallServices/Ringtones or ~/Library/Audio/Sounds/Alerts make a difference.

I am guessing that these apps do not support custom sounds in any of these locations, presumably because they are directly provided by a system library, not a system directory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.