Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
Hello,

I understand that you can add borders by enlarging the canvas of an image and simply applying a black background, at least this is how I have understood the process.

I need to add a border to 60 or so pictures and this is going to take me forever to do, what I want to know is there a way of adding a simple black border to my pictures using an automated process?

Any tips.

Thanks,

Paul

PupnTaco

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
iPhoto can do that with Themes, I think.

Otherwise, you'd be looking at recording a new Action in Photoshop to increase the canvas by a certain number of pixels, setting the bkg color as black and resaving. Then you can Automate --> Batch to do them all while you're out getting a sandwich.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Hello,

I understand that you can add borders by enlarging the canvas of an image and simply applying a black background, at least this is how I have understood the process.

I need to add a border to 60 or so pictures and this is going to take me forever to do, what I want to know is there a way of adding a simple black border to my pictures using an automated process?

Any tips.

Thanks,

Paul

if your using PS there are a couple of simple ways to add a border,

1st the easiest way, go to image > Canvas size, make sure your using pixels a lot easier than cm, add 60 pixels to the sizes and see if you like the results, experiment with different sizes & colors, then save OK.

2nd > select all > edit > stroke, when finished, deselect., this is a really quick simple way, experiment with border sizes and colours in seconds,

Hope this helped ;)

p.s. Sorry you never mentioned if your using Photoshop but good luck.

paul451

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
Sorry , been a bit long to reply,

I understand the two steps you explain. ( I am using PS).

However if I have many pictures to add frames to, would I have to repeat the process each time, or is there a way to do this in a batch way.

I also find people that have more complicated borders, it will be white, then black. I need to find some examples to explain this better. How does one go about doing this.

Finally, If I want to put my name or the the date the picture was taken in the border, but in all my pictures is there any easier way then having to do it each time.

I hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Paul

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
Sorry , been a bit long to reply,

I understand the two steps you explain. ( I am using PS).

However if I have many pictures to add frames to, would I have to repeat the process each time, or is there a way to do this in a batch way.

I also find people that have more complicated borders, it will be white, then black. I need to find some examples to explain this better. How does one go about doing this.

Finally, If I want to put my name or the the date the picture was taken in the border, but in all my pictures is there any easier way then having to do it each time.

I hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Paul

If you want to do two borders:
1) open image
2) image menu > canvas size
3) under width & height entry, I usually check the "relative" box, which makes the border whatever size you put in. ie 1 inch, .5 inch.
4) enter the size of the border you want
5) choose what color you want first at the bottom drop menu
6) after first border is added, repeat steps 2-5 choosing a different border color and/or border size. This will add another border on top of the first one.

To Automate tasks:
1) open image
2) make sure Activity window is open
3) the second icon from the right at the bottom of the Activity widow is "create new action." click that icon
4) it will prompt you to name the action
5) once you've named the action, it will start recording
6) while it is recording, perform whatever task it is that you wish to automate
7) once the task is finished, press the "stop" icon at the bottom of the activity menu
8) then go to File>Automate>Batch
9) once there, choose the name of the action you want performed (the name from step 4), the folder of the images you want adjusted, and the location where you want the new images to be saved.

If something doesn't go right, I suggest looking at PS help. They'll get you through what you might have missed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.