Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I'm actually quite shocked this hasn't come up more often. I searched the forum and only found one thread about it over a year ago and there were no solid answers - is there a good program for geocoding photos on a Mac? I really wish that it were integrated into iPhoto somehow, but since it's not I'd like to do it some other way.

Flickr now has this capability, so I'm assuming that if a picture is geocoded on a computer and then uploaded to flick that the coding would carry over. The only program I've found that looks even remotely promising is Magrathea and I'm still not even sure if that'll do it. Anyone have any thoughts/opinions/experience?

Thanks!

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
If you have a GPS, a great app is GPSPhotoLinker. It takes the time stamp from the photos, and mixes it with the time on your GPS (if you had tracks turned on) and finds the exact position you were standing at when the photo was taken. (Within a few feet. GPS isn't 100% accurate, yet.) It embeds the info into the photos and it'll be geotagged when uploaded to Flickr automatically. :) I hope this helps!

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I hope this helps!

It's great info, but I don't have a gps. :( I'm sure there's probably not an iPhoto plugin, but at this point I'm just looking for anyone else that is a fanatical about being organized as I am and actually does geocoding. I want to know who uses what and how they rate it so I don't have to go through a number of different apps to find a good one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.