Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agomezde23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
Hello,

I just tried an experiment on my old iMac 27' mid 2011.

I had already changed the optical disk for an SSD in the past to keep the original HDD.

I decided to try to add USB 3.0 Ports. For that I connected a slim 13 pin SATA from the last port behind the logic board. It is a 13 pin to 22 pin SATA cable. From there I connected a 22 pin Female to Male that fitted through the optical disk insert slash. Then outside the iMAC a female to USB-C 2'5 SATA reader. Additionally I added a 4 port USB dock with a usb female to female adapter.

The SATA 2,5 reader does power up. So does the 4 port usb dock that has a LED indicator. But it does not recognize or pass power down to any USB devices I connected (Mouse laser did not start, keyboard lights neither. Tried with a mouse, an external SSD.. also tried to connect the external SSD directly to the 2,5 SATA reader to no avail.)

Anyone experienced enough can tell me why does this not work? Too many adapters corrupting the data communication? Or maybe the 2,5 SATA reader not recognizing drives or devices in reverse to what it is expected to do?

Thought about PCIE cards with USB ports but wouldn't know how to connect it to the 13 pin SATA of the logic board.

Any alternatives that can make it work? Haven't seen anyone discussing or trying this. Let me know if it makes sense at all.

Al

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-14 at 9.49.57 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-14 at 9.49.57 PM.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 339
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-14 at 9.49.57 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-14 at 9.49.57 PM (1).jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 127

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Thought about PCIE cards with USB ports but wouldn't know how to connect it to the 13 pin SATA of the logic board.

Any alternatives that can make it work? Haven't seen anyone discussing or trying this. Let me know if it makes sense at all.

Al

The idea of getting USB 3.0 from SATA is wrong from the beginning.

Check the below 2 threads for successful solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.