Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black Baron

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
Has anyone made experiences so far running both apps under OS X High Sierra?

Adguard behaves sometimes a little strange with the Safari extension. I need to reset the statistis
and settings here in then when browsing experience is getting odd.

CleanmyMacX has become a little odd since a couple of versions. I am using it mainly to clean up
my system from unnecessary junk from my system.

Regards,

BLACK BARON
Design / Photo / Art / Music

Black Baron

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
This defines these type of tools.

ie. They're tools for people who don't know any better. It's better to spend your time gathering the knowledge you need to take care of all that yourself, than use anything like these apps.

Can you recommend me the BEST software version of CleanMyMac X? 3.x.x?

Or, why is there no app from Apple itself to keep my system, launch agents, startup items, app software extensions
clean?

Have you ever installed Adobe apps in your life? I mean it's exhausting how they clutter your system with
lots of extensions and add-ons.

Regards,

BLACK BARON

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Can you recommend me the BEST software version of CleanMyMac X? 3.x.x?

Or, why is there no app from Apple itself to keep my system, launch agents, startup items, app software extensions
clean?

Have you ever installed Adobe apps in your life? I mean it's exhausting how they clutter your system with
lots of extensions and add-ons.

Regards,

BLACK BARON
I already told you... Do not use any type of cleaning app. Learn how to use and manage your system yourself, so that YOU control what it does, and not some sketchy app.

You're obviously very young and inexperienced, so gaining knowledge and experience is the best thing you can do for yourself. Also, putting "Design / Photo / Art / Music" in every post seems pretentious when you portray someone who barely knows how to use a computer.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
They're tools for people who don't know any better. It's better to spend your time gathering the knowledge you need to take care of all that yourself, than use anything like these apps.
How exactly would you gather knowledge on systemwide ad blocking, which is what AdGuard does?

What are your constructive suggestions in regards of system maintenance?
I already told you... Do not use any type of cleaning app. Learn how to use and manage your system yourself, so that YOU control what it does, and not some sketchy app.
How exactly do you define "sketchy"? Is something that does not make you feel like a professional "sketchy"? Or is "sketchy" a shorthand for "I do not understand"?

Black Baron

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
@Black Baron : just use the paid version of latest CleanMyMac. Make sure you report your AdGuard issues to the developer, they are quite fast with bugfixes.

Switch back to version 4.4.7 ... that's my opinion. Otherwise install Kaspersky while you're at.

Regards,

BLACK BARON

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
CleanMyMac is often considered one of the worst pieces of junk, more akin to malware. Onyx has a good reputation and support.

I have used AdGuard Pro for years. Without a problems on iPhone, Mac, Android and Windows.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
How exactly would you gather knowledge on systemwide ad blocking, which is what AdGuard does?

What are your constructive suggestions in regards of system maintenance?

How exactly do you define "sketchy"? Is something that does not make you feel like a professional "sketchy"? Or is "sketchy" a shorthand for "I do not understand"?
You simply don't need system wide blocking. I only use uBlock Origin in Firefox, along with the decades of experience I have, and the good habits that come with that. But we all have to start somewhere. Using one of these types of apps is like a band aid that gives you the perception that it's somehow helping you, as well as stunts your self evolution with computers.

The best tool for any computer will always be a knowledgeable user. But the user friendly nature of computing stops most from evolving past a basic point and click know how. The requirements you need to be a driver instead of a passenger at your own computer should always be paramount.

And by sketchy I literally mean sketchy... like a criminal or a drug addict. They approach you in a friendly manner and ask you for money, under the guise of offering you something they're telling you that you need, but if you have basic know how you wouldn't interact with them at all.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
You simply don't need system wide blocking.

Well, for one I do. What I do not need is someone telling me what do I need.

I simply use uBlock Origin in Firefox, and use the decades of experience I have, and the good habits that come with that. But we all have to start somewhere. Using one of these types of apps is like a band aid that gives you the perception that it's somehow helping you, as well as stunts your self evolution with computers.

I use PiHole and only with AdGuard they allow for a seamless, ad-free experience. Permanent VPN to my home network. CleanMyMac every month or so, because it uses less clicks than Onyx (not available for Big Sur yet) to achieve the goal.

The requirements you need to be a driver instead of a passenger at your own computer should always be paramount.

That's a flawed comparison, as nowadays most cars avoid the situations which would turn even an experienced driver into a literal passenger during a crash by themselves. ESP, ABS, automated braking, traction control, lane assist...

And by sketchy I literally mean sketchy... like a criminal or a drug addict. They approach you in a friendly manner and ask you for money, under the guise of offering you something they're telling you that you need, but if you have basic know how you wouldn't interact with them at all.

Like you really can tell the command to thin the local TimeMachine backups by heart.
It's a piece of software. It does what it sells. I will buy a beer to the first person who proves that CleanMyMac contains malicious code.

Black Baron

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
Adguard is fine. The other is junk and I don’t recommend installing it.

CleanMyMacX is a piece of software that I need ... to get rid of the junk many other software installs nowadays put
into your sytsem. Even after a clean OS X installation.

Of course, this software is getting more and more popular. The temptation is big to ... ... ...

However

Rebuild Launch Services

takes a really good while to get Apple's own system optimized.

I also used this software to get an Epson WLAN printer working again because OS X got on strike
and kicked the printer entirely out and there was no way how to fix it. CleanmyMacX did the job.

Btw, is there a system prefs in OS X Catalina ... OS X ...

System Prefs
- Delete all cookies after 120minutes
- Do not track ad analytics by browsing the web
- Block ads

This way, I don't need to install lots of anti-malware software in double trouble triple functions.

Until then ... I can recommend the following combination

CleanMyMacX 4.4.7
AdGuard 2.5.1.928

That tip is a billion dollar worth. Till "they" ??? change something over the long line in the background
in Dr Snowden IT Tech.

The "Billion Dollar Hacker Contest" is now open. Let's see how long the system "Defender" stands. ?

Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 00.49.14.png
Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 00.48.59.png
Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 00.48.51.png
Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 00.48.42.png
Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 00.48.22.png

Regards,

BLACK BARON

Last edited:

Black Baron

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 8, 2020
Germany
CleanMyMac is often considered one of the worst pieces of junk, more akin to malware. Onyx has a good reputation and support.

I have used AdGuard Pro for years. Without a problems on iPhone, Mac, Android and Windows.

Checked Onyx. However, it doesn't help me to clean up the system

- Login Item
- Launch Agents
- Uninstalling unwanted Software "add-ons"

I only want one application icon to see under "Uninstaller". I don't want tons of extra add-ons as it is
by installing Adobe software. It's a mess of extensions, add-ons and scripts. I don't want that. I want
a very clean system.

- - -

I checked CleanMyMac X versions

I disabled Malware. This way the application does not continue to mount disk images in the background as
I could see opening Disk Utility. I don't know what their malware scanner is doing all the time in the background.

Screenshot 2020-11-26 at 11.02.56.png

I don't like the double Login entries for CleanMyMac X menu items and the mac still keeps hitting the fan on starting up the puter.

Regards,

BLACK BARON

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.