Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I've been editing raw files in Lightroom beta, with good results; when I go to save changes, menu option to save is disabled. Also, when I click to edit with changes in PSE 3, the raw is transferred to PSE as tif file without Lightroom changes.:confused: Is this because the beta version disables the option to save changes, or do I need to change something?

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Lightroom is non-destructive. It doesn't actually save the changes to a file, it stores the data of the changes so that each time you open Lightroom up it can load those changes. If you want to "save" your images you have to export the image. This creates a copy of the image with your changes.

To export, go file>export or shift+cmd+E. In the dialogue you see all kinds of choices (file type, compression, colour space, naming scheme, etc.). I generally use an 8 bit TIFF (PS7 doesn't support 16 bit) with no compression and an embedded colour space of sRGB (this I am debating, but it works)

I think the Save function is there because it shows up in every app, however I doubt that it will ever actually be utilised.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Thank you very much!:) :) :)

I am happy to export, doh! I like the Lightroom interface and features... wonder what it will cost next year!

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
No problem ;)! I agree, I quite like the Lightroom interface and features. Hopefully it doesn't cost too much when it comes out next year because as a student I can't afford too much! I especially wouldn't mind if it came bundled with PS CS3, that'd be sweet!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Actually, I want to know why Lightroom is transferring a file to PS Elements as a .TIFF file for editing. Is that what the OP is actually experiencing? :confused:

Anyway, I'm going to eventually try the demo of Apple Aperture soon, since I haven't tried it since the earlier versions (v1.2 I think), which means I should probably stop bashing it and calling it slow and not as good feature-wise and editing wise, since I don't know how 1.5 stacks up against Lightroom (which I like, although the interface seems quirky).

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
If you Right Click, and choose "Edit in [Whatever version of Photoshop you have]" it gives a little dialogue with three choices, the bottom one allows you to work on a copy that has the adjustments. It then exports it as "Your Filename-Edit.tiff". I think you can change the file type in Prefs. It then imports this file into your library, so that you can view it with Photoshop edits I suppose. I still prefer to export because I don't need to re-deit my file in Lightroom after working on them in Photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.