Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Hi,

I just started experiencing problems with Adobe Photoshop CS3 on Leopard, I had been working fine until yesterday when I as working on a file suddenly this message came up, and it does this most of the time now:

"An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occured. Photoshop will now exit"

It then locks up and I have to force quit it. I tried getting updates to Photoshop 10.1, I managed to download the updates, but none would install.

Thanks
Amy :)

ksteed

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
Texas
Same here

I just started getting this message today also. It's very annoying as my work depends on Photoshop running smoothly. I think I'm going to call Adobe. Are you still having the problem?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I mean this with absolutely NO OFFENSE WHATSOEVER....

That used to happen to me when I used a copied/incomplete/pirated version of Photoshop. Those versions usually have missing files and plug-ins. I have had my problems with Leopard as well. Fortunately I haven't had any major software issues. Can't wait for that update to OS 10.5.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
Thank you for your replies. It isn't a copy of CS3 I have used, I bought the Education version of the programme from Adobe website just before I started uni. I was wondering if it was Leopard that was the problem?, there was a note on Adobe about issues with Leopard a few weeks ago.

Thank you :) hopefully it will all be working smoothly soon.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I would suggest reinstalling CS3 from the original disks, since it sure sounds like something is screwed up internally.

I'm using several CS3 apps under Leopard without problems (well, other than the fact that they're still bloated pigs).

ksteed

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
Texas
Maybe this will help

First off I am not running a "pirated copy" of CS3, and I don't appreciate the assumption. I am running the student Adobe Creative Suite CS3 version.

Second, I think I found the problem on my end. I was running an app called "Adium" and once I quit the app and then re-opened Photoshop I didn't get the error anymore. Photoshop has been running without any problems since then, and now I don't even use Adium anymore, I switched back to iChat since upgrading to Leopard. (Something I recommend.)

So I'm not sure, but it looks like there is a compatibility problem between the two app's. But I'm not worried about it anymore since I don't use Adium anymore.

I hope this proves helpful. :)

-Kyle

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
First off I am not running a "pirated copy" of CS3, and I don't appreciate the assumption. I am running the student Adobe Creative Suite CS3 version.

Second, I think I found the problem on my end. I was running an app called "Adium" and once I quit the app and then re-opened Photoshop I didn't get the error anymore. Photoshop has been running without any problems since then, and now I don't even use Adium anymore, I switched back to iChat since upgrading to Leopard. (Something I recommend.)

So I'm not sure, but it looks like there is a compatibility problem between the two app's. But I'm not worried about it anymore since I don't use Adium anymore.

No, there are tons of us that use Adium regularly - and really you'd be hard-pressed to come up with a mechanism for an app like Adium to interfere with Photoshop CS3.

Also, Digital Skunk went out of his way to say he wasn't trying to cast aspersions on you. People ask about problems with their pirated software all the time. Don't be so touchy - you'll go nuts on a public forum otherwise.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
The first step to troubleshooting Photoshop is to reset preferences. On a Mac hold down CMD+OPTION+SHIFT while starting Photoshop, on a PC it is ALT+CONTROL+SHIFT.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
The error that showed up has stopped now but I can't seem to get my updates still. It keeps saying:

Installation Incomplete

The installation process has encountered a problem. Please choose from the following options.
Cancel the current update and continue installing the remaining updates.

Stop installing and continue later.

I contacted Adobe customer support and they said it could be something to do with my firewall. But I'm not sure how to turn it off. I also have filevault running, could that effect my updates?

Thank you :)
Amy

ksteed

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
Texas
Apologies

First off, I am big enough to admit mistakes, so I was wrong to get defensive yesterday. It was only after the fact of posting my reply that I saw he meant no harm by saying that sometimes this error occurs when running a pirated copy. So my bad.

I also have filevault running, could that effect my updates?

Second, Amy, it could be a firewall problem, but I don't see how it could be a "filevault" issue. All filevault does is secures your home folder by encrypting its contents. So it shouldn't affect your issue of updating Photoshop. But if anyone knows something different please explain.

You could try turning off your firewall and then try performing the update and see if it works.

Amy2005

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
North Yorkshire, England
I tried turning off my firewall and nothing changed so I thought i'd try turning off filevault and all my CS3 updates finally worked and installed :) I was shocked when it worked coz I didn't think filevault would cause any problems. I'm pleased it's finally updated though. Thank you for all your help :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
First off, I am big enough to admit mistakes, so I was wrong to get defensive yesterday. It was only after the fact of posting my reply that I saw he meant no harm by saying that sometimes this error occurs when running a pirated copy. So my bad.

That's nice of you to say. Seriously, it does come up more than you might think. What's really funny is when questions come up (usually not on Photography) where eventually the poster admits his "OS X problem" is with a hacked version running on a generic PC. :D

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
This is one of those things that just seems to happen with Adobe CS (1, 2 and 3) from time to time. Whichever version of the suite we've been using at work, I've always wound up having to re-install it at some point because of exactly this issue (not always photoshop, sometime acrobat, sometimes indesign).

FWIW I had to re-install CS2 on our old G5 for just this problem about two weeks ago...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
I tried turning off my firewall and nothing changed so I thought i'd try turning off filevault and all my CS3 updates finally worked and installed :) I was shocked when it worked coz I didn't think filevault would cause any problems. I'm pleased it's finally updated though. Thank you for all your help :)

I think the bottom line is: Because of their activation crap, Adobe goes its own way with installation and doesn't follow Apple's guidelines or use their tools. This ends up causing problems in all sorts of areas; some major, and some minor. But Adobe can get away with it because they've got a monopoly on the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.