Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolwine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
St.Paul MN
I have searched the internet to no avail and I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this problem or what the cause is. Some specs first, i have a 15 macbook pro unibody, a canon rebel xsi, and photoshop CS4. Ok as for the problem, when i import my raw images into photoshop and i open them the preview window pops up first with all of the options such as exposure etc, but all of the bright white spots on the picture show up red. when i click the "open picture" button and the preview window goes away the picture looks fine, its just the preview window that cannot display any bright white. I have been using this for a few months now and have never had any problems. Does anyone have any advice on what to do to make the image preview accurate? If it helps any other program i open the raw image in the picture is fine. Any help is greatly appreciated!!:)

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Sounds like the highlighting feature is on. The red areas are showing you in the image the parts that are totally blown out (pure white). It is often useful to have this kind of display so you can adjust the exposure, etc. to get it to the point where you just are starting to blow stuff out, or just recover it to the point of not being blown out, etc. I think there will also be blue areas indicating portions in total shadow (pure black). At least that is how it is in Lightroom.

Anyways there should be some keystroke or option to disable it. I don't have CS4 but in Lightroom you can press the "J" key to toggle it on/off.

Ruahrc

coolwine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
St.Paul MN
Thank you so much haha. In photoshop cs4 you press o and u you can toggle on and off highlighting the shadows and the highlights. I had no idea what the problem was or where to begin, i am just happy it wasn't another crappy memory card. Thanks again for the info!!:):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.