Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basqarl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
What do people think about Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 versus other photo-editing software? Other recommendations?

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I have Elements 6 for Windows and have ordered the Mac version. IMHO Elements is one of the best value for money bits of software you can get. It has all of the important stuff that PS3 has for digital photographers. I will use it in conjunction with Aperture...

joefinan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
I have Elements 6 for Windows and have ordered the Mac version. IMHO Elements is one of the best value for money bits of software you can get. It has all of the important stuff that PS3 has for digital photographers. I will use it in conjunction with Aperture...

What does Aperture give you that Elements doesn't and vice versa? I'd be interested to know why you need both.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
What does Aperture give you that Elements doesn't and vice versa? I'd be interested to know why you need both.

Aperture is more for organising and basic image enhancement and correction. It is the starting point for your image management. It's ability to handle RAW files is wonderful and it's RAW mode, in my view, is much better than Elements.

Elements is the advanced mode for image manipulation where you can do things with Layers, Dodging and Burning and other specific editing to create special effects for your images. There is no doubt that you can do Aperture type things in Elements but it is much better done in Aperture. Aperture, however, cannot do the special effects that Elements can do.

The ideal solution is both.

zephyrnoid

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Geneva Switzerland
This is going to sound stupid. Is there just a plain 'Photoshop' or is it always followed by the suffix 'Elements' :confused:

Aperture is more for organising and basic image enhancement and correction. It is the starting point for your image management. It's ability to handle RAW files is wonderful and it's RAW mode, in my view, is much better than Elements.

Elements is the advanced mode for image manipulation where you can do things with Layers, Dodging and Burning and other specific editing to create special effects for your images. There is no doubt that you can do Aperture type things in Elements but it is much better done in Aperture. Aperture, however, cannot do the special effects that Elements can do.

The ideal solution is both.

joefinan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
there is - Photoshop CS (creative suite) 3 is the current one, but it's about £850 (although it's a collection of programs from Adobe; Photoshop, Image Ready etc.). Elements has most if the stuff a domestic user would want for only about £60.

And to learn all the ins and outs of the full program can take years!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.