Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
Are there any rumors of Adobe photoshop elements becoming universal any time soon? I really want some photo editing software so i can start playing around with my pictures etc but i don't want to fork out a load of money for something that isn't going to perform as well as it can when a better version is just round the corner.

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
GRRRRR!!

Is Adobe PS CS2 universal? On the online store it says it can be run on either powerpc or intel, but unlike the elements requirements it doesn't mention rosetta.

Still £570 is a crazy amount of money!!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
CS2 is a PowerPC app so runs under Rosetta on Intel Macs.

Also £570 isn't a lot of money when you consider just what Photoshop can do. You can get it cheaper too if you look around. For instance, Amazon currently have it for £491 and the student edition goes for £99 if you qualify for that.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, CS3 is the first CS that's universal. Presumably the next version of Elements -- whether that's 5.0 (which is already available on Windows) or a new 6.0 that gets simulcast -- will be universal as well, although that has neither been announced nor officially promised. Typically PSE is sort of a hybrid of the past and next generations of CS plus some other features (every once in a while, they beta test some more user interface oriented idea out in PSE and then migrate it to CS, although it is typically vice versa).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Are there any rumors of Adobe photoshop elements becoming universal any time soon? I really want some photo editing software so i can start playing around with my pictures etc but i don't want to fork out a load of money for something that isn't going to perform as well as it can when a better version is just round the corner.

Why not use Gimp? It's free and very much like Elements or Photoshop in terms of function. See http://www.gimp.org Gimp ran native on Intel Macs the week after Apple released the Intel Mac.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
What's wrong with the existing version of Elements (v. 4.0)? Or am I missing something? :confused:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What's wrong with the existing version of Elements (v. 4.0)? Or am I missing something? :confused:

Just that it uses Rosetta, as far as I know, on Intel Macs, decreasing the speed somewhat and also increasing the memory footprint. But otherwise, I think 3.0 for that matter is an outstanding product. From what I understand, 2.0 is not great, though, so 3.0 is the first usable version.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Why not use Gimp? It's free and very much like Elements or Photoshop in terms of function. See http://www.gimp.org Gimp ran native on Intel Macs the week after Apple released the Intel Mac.

gimp needs x11 to be installed. for the non techie's amongst us (that would be me) that is already one step too complicated. also i'm used to photoshop and PSE already.

but if adobe doesn't get their act together soon i can see myself switching to gimp or something else soon.

this would be the perfect time for some company to enter the consumer photo edititng software market. adobe lets the door wide open.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.

I think when Photoshop CS3 comes out, wait 12 months after that and Adobe might bother. :eek:

@JDN, I use elements regularly on my macbook pro, and although not exactly 'snappy', it's quite tolerable for fairly basic operations.

@abstract, yeah, it's a sad reality. oh well. at least there is a cheaper version of photoshop!:)

Ger

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Ireland
Is there any news on a Universal version of Photoshop Elements? I need a photo editing app (nothing too elaborate) to finally have everything I need on my Mac. If there is a Universal version on the way, then I will wait for it. Anyone heard anything?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Is there any news on a Universal version of Photoshop Elements? I need a photo editing app (nothing too elaborate) to finally have everything I need on my Mac. If there is a Universal version on the way, then I will wait for it. Anyone heard anything?

Back in September, Adobe announced that Elements 6 for Mac was coming... sometime in 2008.

Hunt around on adobe.com and maybe you can find more specific information.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Pixelmator's not bad if your editing needs are extremely basic. Not enough works in it now to really make it a meaningful competitor to PSE, though.... It has potential. Give it about 18-24 months and I'm guessing it will be useful.

Ger

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Ireland
Thanks guys. I think I will hold out for Photoshop, since its coming soon. I generally only need the basic touches for photos, but the more advanced tools are handy from time to time.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
There are special update prices for Elements when new versions come out and I think the local independent Apple store had student versions at a low price the last time I looked. Could be wrong, but worth checking out.

I like even my old version of elements on my old G4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.