Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK
free download - beta expires end of August

Current Lightroom users can use it until it expires - anyone else can try it for 30 days

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom/

"Enhancements that can be found in the Lightroom 2.0 beta include the following:

Localized corrections — Enhance specific areas of an image for unsurpassed nondestructive flexibility and control reminiscent of the traditional darkroom dodge and burn experience.
Improved organizational tools — Find the images you need quickly and easily.
Multiple monitor support — Add an additional monitor to efficiently manage photographic workflow and presentation.
Flexible print package functionality — Create custom layouts containing multiple sizes of a photograph on a single page.
64-bit support — Lightroom 2.0 now takes advantage of the latest hardware architectures with improved memory handling and performance."

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I might be tempted to give it a go. Existing users can use it until August I believe (else a 30day trial).

Though will trial it on a test database first :p

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Though will trial it on a test database first :p
Seems like it doesn't mess with your existing database at all...

...though Time Machine could be nice to have...

Over all - after 10 minutes of looking it seems nice. Wonder what the upgrade price will be...come August...

Also cool that you can invite other's to get the "full" Beta. :)

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I have about 2500 pictures to cull and process from my recent trip to the 12 Hours of Sebring. I use ALR 1.3.1, so I may give this a try.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
I was surprised to see the press release first thing today. I'm excited to check it out. I really like the develop interface in the current version. The local area corrections and dodge and burn being just another reversible at any time change (rather than something baked in PS) is excellent.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have about 2500 pictures to cull and process from my recent trip to the 12 Hours of Sebring. I use ALR 1.3.1, so I may give this a try.

I wouldn't do it in v2.0 though. What if they change the editing feature during the Beta period? That happened once during the Version 1 beta. If you edit photos in the current beta version, and the degree of editing changes, then your edits may look really messed up with the sliders of each edit setting where they are. This won't affect things like WB, but it may affect any edit of colours and saturation, sharpening, vignetting, possibly contrast.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I wouldn't do it in v2.0 though. What if they change the editing feature during the Beta period? That happened once during the Version 1 beta. If you edit photos in the current beta version, and the degree of editing changes, then your edits may look really messed up with the sliders of each edit setting where they are. This won't affect things like WB, but it may affect any edit of colours and saturation, sharpening, vignetting, possibly contrast.
I can do my culling though, to see how the performance is. But it's not that big a deal. Once I cull and export my pictures I typically don't go back to them in ALR again. Even if I do, it's just to prepare a few pictures for printing, so -- yeah -- I might have to do that work again (I use RAW, so edits are non-destructive). But if the performance (especially rendering 1:1 previews) is better that may be worth it to me.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Hey this is good news, both in terms of timing (for me) and in terms of Adobe's commitment to Lightroom. I was a bit worried they'd stick to a schedule with Lightroom that's in line with their other apps - that'd mean 2-3 years between major releases.

This way people can try out Aperture 2 and Lightroom 2 beta and see which they prefer.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
From what I've read about it, I think it should more properly be called Lightroom 2.0 Alpha. Adobe stressed it should not be used except to see what new features it promises to offer. Not real assuring from a "Beta."

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
So far from what I've seen, here are a few comments:
+ I like non-destructive editing with the brush, Aperture's Dodge & Burn creates a tiff file each time. I also like the Auto Mask feature, if it works well in real-life situations.
+ I like the ability to do roundtripping with dng files. :)
n It adds features Aperture has had for a long, long time (dual monitor support, smart albums, 64 bit support, etc.) --> good news for Lightroom people.
n No news about the price for updates.
- I still find the UI very cluttered. Some UI elements are just gimmicks that take up space. All of the different modes are distinguished in text and people can read slower than they can recognize pictograms (especially if there is very low contrast)
- dual monitor support seems a bit half-arsed and inflexible (but I have my gripes with Aperture's implementation, too, although it got a lot better with version 2.0)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
any chance of someone inviting me to try it a full beta? I could PM you my email

I would appreciate being second in line if a registered Lightroom user would care to share an invite. PM me and I'll send you back my email address. :)

John

Isn't it a public beta? Anyone should be able to get the 30-day trial. You probably need to register at Adobe labs.
Yes, anyone can get the 30 day beta. But registered Lightroom 1.x users -- and anyone they invite -- get to use it through the end of August.

:D

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
Yes, anyone can get the 30 day beta. But registered Lightroom 1.x users -- and anyone they invite -- get to use it through the end of August.

:D

Does that mean that they can invite infinite people? Or do they just have one invite?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.