Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2021
Hi there,

Hope you're well,

I'm looking to batch rename folders on files with different town names.

E.g.
file1.jpg > brighton-file1.jpg (or file1-brighton.jpg)
file2.jpg > london-file2.jpg
file3.jpg > oxford-file3.jpg

and so on about 200 times...

Please let me know how this can be achieved with files and folder too?

Many thanks

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
If I understand what you're asking about how to rename files and folders in the Finder, you can drag over to select (or click and select) what you'd like to rename, right click and choose Rename, and then enter the new name. The batch rename options are Find Text, Add Text, or Format.

Here's the details from Apple Support:

Reactions: Big Ron

DaveApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2021
Hmm, I think I've really failed to explain perhaps as these are basics I'm already aware of that don't achieve whats I'm looking for.

I understand and how to bulk rename files and add a prefix, suffix or to rename text for all the files. What I want to do it prefix or suffix at least 100 files at once each with a different name.

so let's say it starts off

file1.jpg
file2.jpg
file3.jpg

I'm not just looking to prefix it with the same word for all of them or have a sequence of numbers but prefix or suffix with a different town name for each one - and not to have to just rename them each manually each time. I know I can click and edit the text but I want it to batch input all the name.

If I have a list of town names

Aberdeen
Bristol
Cardiff
etc

I want these to be batch renamed as prefixed into a list of files so that they look like this: -

Aberdeen-file1.jpg
Bristol-file2.jpg
Cardiff-file3.jpg
etc

not

Aberdeen-file1.jpg
Aberdeen-file2.jpg
Aberdeen-file3.jpg

Does that make more sense?

razmanugget

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
I'm not 100% sure what you are asking for (ie. do you require logic), but I would try Automator. It's free and easy to use

DaveApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2021
Thanks guys, yeah I've sorted it out with Name Mangler. What you need is for example 100 file and the list of 100 words you want to append to each on in a CSV and then you can run a sequence from there.

Case closed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.