Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Good morning everyone!,

I hope you are staying safe and well ?

I have found myself with a wonderful problem where I'm in the market for another iPad ? I currently own an iMac 24-inch and iPad Pro 12.9 (2020). I chose the big iPad because it gave the maximum space to draw on, and I when I originally purchased the device, I didn't have any portability needs.

Since then, I have started to run a design studio, and I am in a long-distance relationship with my girlfriend. Both of these changes to my life have meant I will now be required to travel a bit more. I have two big needs:

• I will be attending design client meetings and I'm finding the iPad Pro 12.9 quite clunky for that. I have had a few spinal issues so I always try to carry as light and small as possible. Equally, in meetings, the device takes up a huge space which always makes me conscious.

• I will be travelling throughout the year to visit my girlfriend for weeks at a time. She owns a MacBook Air which she is happy for me to use so my ability to create client websites is entirely unaffected. This is why I have also decided I won't need my own MacBook. But I will need to take an iPad with me wherever I am to do other design work and illustrations. Equally, when I am traveling or with her, I want a device I can easily go around with - once again, the iPad Pro 12.9 is hefty and it's not something I can hold onto all day comfortably.

This has made me think about getting a second iPad to fit this new lifestyle change. I was originally thinking about the iPad Pro 11 or iPad Air, but then I went to the Apple Store and compared the sizes of each iPad. I left believing that the iPad mini with 256gb could potentially be a wonderful device for my needs

I feel it would quite easily cover the basic things I do perhaps better than the 12.9 - scheduling, project management in Things 3, email, research, reading, etc. Equally, I believe with a light bluetooth keyboard, there's no reason I couldn't do all my writing comfortably in Ulysses as I currently do. The only thing is the main thing - drawing and design. Over the past days, I've purposefully used split-screen when drawing on the 12.9 as I believe that makes it a similar size to the iPad mini screen (correct me if I'm wrong). It's certainly not the greatest experience ever, but I haven't found it an issue either.

However, it is one thing to play with a device in the Apple Store for a few minutes, and entirely another to live day in and day out with it. With that in mind, I wanted to get some viewpoints from people who will know much better than I.

• How is the experience of using the iPad mini for stretches of time?
  • Does anyone use iPad mini for design or art?
  • Am I thinking right around going for a mini over the Air/ Pro 11? Would you go for something else?

Thank you for all your help.

SkiHound2

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2018
A few thoughts from a person who has never used an iPad Mini and who doesn't do any meaningful drawing or design. With those lack of credibility, everything I've read is that the pro motion display on the Pros is a better drawing platform than the 60hz screens on the Mini or Air. I'd suggest digging into those differences before taking a plunge.

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Those are incredibly helpful thoughts. I appreciate you bringing up the 60hz screen on the Mini and Air making a potential different with drawing. I hadn't factored it in, but I certainly do notice promotion on my devices. I believe any artist could create drawings or design with any iPad regardless of 60hz vs. 120hz, but it is always a bonus to quality of life having an optimal environment.

I have been thinking a bit more around my situation and calculating costings for each iPad. Whatever iPad I get, I'd be purchasing the folio cover rather than a keyboard cover because my needs centre on portability. With the iPad Mini or Air, I'd absolutely need to go higher with the 256gb, whereas the base iPad Pro 11 with 128gb is optimal. The cost differences have meant I don't think iPad Air makes any sense - for a little bit extra I would have the same level of portability in the Pro 11 with all the luxury, nice-to-have features.

This really brings my hardware decision down to either the iPad Mini or the iPad Pro 11. I understand they are incredibly different devices but that's where I currently am in my decision-making process.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Drawing on the mini isn't easy and I am not even an artist by nearly any stretch. The screen size is great for the portability and maybe checking emails, doing the meetings and what not. Do keep in mind that the keyboards for the mini are extremely tiny, which even if you tried out for a bit and be okay with, long term speaking you may change your mind. Going back to the drawing, the pencil is basically the height of the mini and if you have say a "max" iPhone just think of that screen with about only 2" more diagonally.

I personally think the 11" pro is your best bet based on the storage size you want, the new air is quite compelling, but getting the larger storage option is almost the cost of the entry iPad Pro and with the Pro you will get 120Hz back, if the 60Hz doesn't bother you the new Air would save just a little bit of money getting the 256GB version compared to the Pro

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Over the past days, I've purposefully used split-screen when drawing on the 12.9 as I believe that makes it a similar size to the iPad mini screen (correct me if I'm wrong).

Not really. Split screen on the 12.9" is more around 9.7" iPad size and that's noticeably bigger. Personally, I don't like writing notes on the mini since I find it too small. It's great for reading in portrait though.

However, it is one thing to play with a device in the Apple Store for a few minutes, and entirely another to live day in and day out with it. With that in mind, I wanted to get some viewpoints from people who will know much better than I.

I think the best thing you can do is buy the mini 6 from Apple Store and use it exclusively during the 14-day return window. If it fits all your needs, great. If not, you'll know whether to get the Pro 11 or Air 5 based on the experience with the mini 6's non-ProMotion display.

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Thank you everyone! These viewpoints are incredibly helpful to hear in framing my perspective of which device could be best.

I'm in the process of travelling back to the Apple store this morning before my next design client meeting (it's on the way to the location so I thought why not?). I'm going to play around with both the iPad mini and iPad Pro 11 for as long as they'll allow me without calling security ? That way I can make a more informed purchasing decision. I'll report back later tonight.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Another thing to consider is the Magic Keyboard. Not only is the Pencil a better drawing experience on the Pro, as others have stated, but there is no keyboard for the Mini that comes close to matching the MKB for the Pro. Or so I’ve been told by a friend who raves about his constantly haha. So, if you think you might need to add a more robust keyboard experience in the future, give serious consideration to the Pro over the Mini.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
The 11 inch Pro with the magic keyboard will be perfect for you. Great drawing experience, easy to pop on and off the keyboard. And the 11 inch size fits anywhere.

Reactions: AgropaEuropa

JahBoolean

Suspended
Jul 14, 2021
As echoed aboved, size and possibly weight are the only constraints motivating you to change device, i'd try a mini for a while to see wether those two factors were really impactful (return window).

If not, spend the money spared on a few more round trips and a good meal ;).

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
As echoed aboved, size and possibly weight are the only constraints motivating you to change device, i'd try a mini for a while to see wether those two factors were really impactful (return window).

If not, spend the money spared on a few more round trips and a good meal ;).

You're definitely right. The issue I'm having pertains to the size and weight of the iPad Pro 12.9. It wasn't a problem when I purchased the device as I was only in one place all the time, but now my needs are changing.

Drawing on the mini isn't easy and I am not even an artist by nearly any stretch. The screen size is great for the portability and maybe checking emails, doing the meetings and what not. Do keep in mind that the keyboards for the mini are extremely tiny, which even if you tried out for a bit and be okay with, long term speaking you may change your mind. Going back to the drawing, the pencil is basically the height of the mini and if you have say a "max" iPhone just think of that screen with about only 2" more diagonally.

I personally think the 11" pro is your best bet based on the storage size you want, the new air is quite compelling, but getting the larger storage option is almost the cost of the entry iPad Pro and with the Pro you will get 120Hz back, if the 60Hz doesn't bother you the new Air would save just a little bit of money getting the 256GB version compared to the Pro

Thank you for the recommendation. I went back to the Apple Store this morning before my design meeting and this is the impression I was left with. The first time I went to the Apple Store I was enamoured by the iPad mini, but this time I used it for a good 30-40 minutes, and the screen size just didn't hold up for drawing sessions. I also noticed some text was too small for long-term use. There's no way I could do that for weeks on end when I'm visiting my girlfriend away from my iMac, and I don't think it would look very convincing or professional from a clients perspective.

The 11 inch Pro with the magic keyboard will be perfect for you. Great drawing experience, easy to pop on and off the keyboard. And the 11 inch size fits anywhere.

This is the conclusion I reached in the Apple Store this morning. The iPad Pro 11 when attached to the Magic Keyboard still feels light to travel with. That made me think I don't need to compromise with a folio cover and could instead spring for a dedicated keyboard built for the machine. And the screen size means I am not compromising on the activities I need to do to run my design studio.

The only thing that made me hesitate was how similar the device is to my iPad Pro 12.9. I couldn't help but have a bit of regret and guilt - "If I only knew I'd need more portability I would have purchased this size to begin with 2 years ago and avoided the bigger screen". If I buy the iPad Pro 11, I know I'll have absolutely no use case for the 12.9 anymore. I'm thinking maybe I could give it to my girlfriend to replace her iPad Pro 10.5 which has a white spot on the screen.

Reactions: shr631

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
You're definitely right. The issue I'm having pertains to the size and weight of the iPad Pro 12.9. It wasn't a problem when I purchased the device as I was only in one place all the time, but now my needs are changing.

Thank you for the recommendation. I went back to the Apple Store this morning before my design meeting and this is the impression I was left with. The first time I went to the Apple Store I was enamoured by the iPad mini, but this time I used it for a good 30-40 minutes, and the screen size just didn't hold up for drawing sessions. I also noticed some text was too small for long-term use. There's no way I could do that for weeks on end when I'm visiting my girlfriend away from my iMac, and I don't think it would look very convincing or professional from a clients perspective.

This is the conclusion I reached in the Apple Store this morning. The iPad Pro 11 when attached to the Magic Keyboard still feels light to travel with. That made me think I don't need to compromise with a folio cover and could instead spring for a dedicated keyboard built for the machine. And the screen size means I am not compromising on the activities I need to do to run my design studio.

The only thing that made me hesitate was how similar the device is to my iPad Pro 12.9. I couldn't help but have a bit of regret and guilt - "If I only knew I'd need more portability I would have purchased this size to begin with 2 years ago and avoided the bigger screen". If I buy the iPad Pro 11, I know I'll have absolutely no use case for the 12.9 anymore. I'm thinking maybe I could give it to my girlfriend to replace her iPad Pro 10.5 which has a white spot on the screen.
Well there you go. You will love the 11 inch with the keyboard and on its own - definitely hits the sweet spot.

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Good morning everyone!

I wanted to provide a small update on my iPad situation. I ordered the iPad Pro 11 with Magic Keyboard a few days ago, but cancelled the order.

My brother's friend mentioned the other day whilst we were talking that he didn't use his iPad Mini 6 256gb and was happy to give it to me. He asked for a low price and it felt like too good an opportunity to pass up on. Best case in my own life that I've seen to evidence the law of attraction that's for sure! ?

I should have the device later today. What I'm thinking now is that:

• My iPad Pro 12.9 becomes my home device alongside the iMac 24-inch for my main work.

• iPad Mini 6 becomes my travel device when I visit design clients or travel to my girlfriend. I also feel I will be less precious when taking it around with me than either the iPad Pro 11/12.9. Not to mention the lighter weight should be great for my spine.

• When I'm with my girlfriend, she has said that she is happy for me to use her iPad Pro 10.5 when I need a larger canvas to draw on.

I'll test the iPad Mini 6 out over the next few days and then report back on how I'm finding the device in day-to-day usage.

Reactions: shr631

BhaveshUK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Hey again,

I wanted to report back on how I got on.

The iPad Mini 6 just didn’t work for me. I thought it was going to be an excellent savings for me given the low price my brother’s friend had asked for. But the moment I began using it, I felt something was “off”. The scaling of apps and texts just felt strange to me. And whilst functional and incredibly light, it wasn’t joyful to use - I think the huge 12.9 screen of the iPad Pro has changed my expectations. Finally, I started to notice the jelly scrolling, and once I had, the device felt much less premium.

Well there you go. You will love the 11 inch with the keyboard and on its own - definitely hits the sweet spot.

My brother’s friend was incredibly kind and okay to take the iPad Mini 6 back. From there, I decided to go with the original decision and get the iPad Pro 11 with Magic Keyboard. It felt like the wisest move based on the feedback I received from this thread. I purchased it from Apple and was incredibly excited to use it. However, whilst stopping for lunch, I had an out-of-body moment where I saw myself. Suffice to say, I felt quite guilty having just purchased the device. It felt unnecessary if I’m completely honest, and a “nice-to-have” but not necessarily something I had earned or needed. I went back after lunch and returned the device and keyboard unopened.

I think I realised that no one device is going to solve my issues. I already have an excellent device with the iPad Pro 12.9 and I should be grateful to have such a wonderful device. Not everyone has that. Instead, I should be using what I already have to the maximum instead of looking at other devices which could fix small issues I currently have. Yes, it is weighty and hefty when I take it to design meetings or when I need to travel to my girlfriend, but perhaps there are better adjustments I could make which will ease the load. I’m going to explore how I can make my travel easier without purchasing another iPad, and equally, how I can use my money wiser.

Apologies if I wasted anyone‘s time in creating this thread and you taking the time to respond.

Reactions: Nhwhazup
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.