Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecstasy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
What's up, guys?

Just got a D40 as a late Christmas gift.

Been messing around with it, mostly in M mode. The D40 is a new game to me, so I'm trying to figure out aperture, focal length, etc.

Is it strange that in M mode, most of my shots turn out dark, despite there being light all around?

I think I just need to tinker with it a little bit more, but I'd love to get some advice/suggestions from people here.

Thanks a lot!

PS - Here are some random shots I took. Just uploaded them straight to Flickr. Honestly do not know how I took these shots (hence, me messing around -> :D)

4254264005_18bd04d56d.jpg

4254264655_00e04fb9ab.jpg

Critique is most certainly welcomed!

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
what ISO, shutter speed and f stop are you shooting at?

if this is your first time using a dslr i would spend some time with AV or TV mode. learn what settings the camera chooses for each setting you set. then once you get a good idea of which combinations work i would start messing with the M mode.

ckseid

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Los Angeles
These are good starts. I recommend you getting a basic photography book, to help you understand the interactions between shutter speed, aperture and ISO.
It's good that you are trying the manual mode already. I see from your meta data that you are probably at your lens largest aperture (3.5) already and at about 1/5 sec. To get a brighter photo, you can try an even slower shutter speed, but you will risk camera shake, and thus blurry photos. A quick solution would be to increase your ISO. The trade-off is grainer/noiser photos. But with todays new camera, the noise level isn't that bad. If this all sounds greek to you, definitely good idea to get a photography book! :)

ecstasy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
^ Definitely.

I've also been messing around with the exposure, decreasing/increasing it and trying out some photos.

I do plan on picking up Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Thanks for the tips!

More would be appreciated! :D

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I actually recommend just starting out in Shutter Priority mode rather than full manual mode. That way as you adjust the shutter, you can see how the camera adjusts the aperture.

I've been using the D40 for about 2 years now. It's a pretty great camera and I've learn so much.

mattyb240

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
I actually recommend just starting out in Shutter Priority mode rather than full manual mode. That way as you adjust the shutter, you can see how the camera adjusts the aperture.

I've been using the D40 for about 2 years now. It's a pretty great camera and I've learn so much.

I would have to disagree, if anything Av mode, then you can learn depth of field and how it affects your shutter speed. Stick with manual, and get that book its awesome, you will be glad you never shot in a priority mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.