Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cumminb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Kansas, USA
hey everybody! After the keynote at WWDC, it seems pretty clear that Apple isn't gonna push out any MBP or MBA updates in the near future. After having a laptop for 4 years, it's killing me to not have one.

So, I'll be ordering one in the next couple days. I just wanted some advice on a machine, MacBook/ Pro / Air, that will be good for primarily word processing and web browsing and video streaming for college purposes and also, a machine that will keep up with MacOS Sierra and subsequent updates for at least 2 years.

So that's what I'm looking for and I'm thinking 2015 retina MacBook Pro 256 GB/2.9 i5/ and I'm clueless on RAM. thoughts on that and overall advice is greatly appreciated. Suggestions for other machines+ configuration wanted. Feel free to ask me more questions if necessary. Thank you!

Queen6

macrumors G4
256 SSD, 8Gb Ram, i5 CPU MacBook Pro with Retina display will work perfectly, Apple is unlikely to release new hardware before October. 15" rMBP is overpriced and the Air`s display is simply tragic in 2016.

Forget CPU & RAM upgrades, if you need it your college would make you aware of it, if you want up anything, move up to the 512 SSD. if you can get by on what you have until the next release it may save some $$$ as likely the base rMBP
model will be 256 SSD.

Personaly in your position I would go with the current 13" model as it`s mature, has few if any issues and will avoid Apple`s 1st Gen syndrome.

Q-6

cumminb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Kansas, USA
256 SSD, 8Gb Ram, i5 CPU MacBook Pro with Retina display will work perfectly, Apple is unlikely to release new hardware before October. 15" rMBP is overpriced and the Air`s display is simply tragic in 2016.

Forget CPU & RAM upgrades, if you need it your college would make you aware of it, if you want up anything, move up to the 512 SSD. if you can get by on what you have until the next release it may save some $$$ as likely the base rMBP
model will be 256 SSD.

Personaly in your position I would go with the current 13" model as it`s mature, has few if any issues and will avoid Apple`s 1st Gen syndrome.

Q-6
Solid advice. I really really appreciate it. As much as I want to be current, I think the current retina Pro is really solid and you're right about avoiding potential bugs. (I.e. Bendgate) A 2017 or 18 might be a safer bet for an upgrade.

So you don't think there's a need to have a better processor or RAM to make it to 2017 or 2018 with great performance?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Solid advice. I really really appreciate it. As much as I want to be current, I think the current retina Pro is really solid and you're right about avoiding potential bugs. (I.e. Bendgate) A 2017 or 18 might be a safer bet for an upgrade.

So you don't think there's a need to have a better processor or RAM to make it to 2017 or 2018 with great performance?

No the stock i5, 256 SSD rMBP will be more than adequate, unless storage is an issue.

Q-6

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Processor speeds haven't really evolved much in the last 4 to 5 years. This isn't the late 90's and early 2000's. You'd be hard pressed to know the difference between a decked out Mac Pro and a base model Macbook Pro with the pretty basic needs you stated in your first post.

The only worthwhile upgrade would possibly be storage, if you need more than what's in the base model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.