Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhamilton6530

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
Hi, everyone! I recently purchased a used 15" MacBook Pro mid 2017, and thankfully purchased an extended warranty. I sent it in for battery complaints and they ended up finding an issue with the logic board, fans, AND battery. The question is this: They have offered to either repair or refund, and I'm torn.

My original thinking is that with all this repaired, I should have a practically new machine that will be free of issues. NOW, I'm seeing that logic board issues are relatively common with this model and I'm worried that it will just happen again.

Should I take the refund and purchase another, risking the same issues, or would having a machine that's already repaired be a better choice?

I will be out of warranty after this repair, as it will exhaust the available coverage, so if it does go out again, I'm out a machine.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
How much is the refund? It's unlikely that the replacement logic board will go out very quickly, so unless the refund is substantial, I'd advise going with the repair. If the rumors are true, in a year or two we might have a 15" MacBook Air that could be a worthwhile replacement.

mhamilton6530

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2022
Thank you, I agree. I'm honestly not sure if the refund is for the purchase price or not, but I'm assuming it is. Weird that I can't find that information anywhere. If so, it would be for around $1500.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Unless it's a pittance of a refund, I'd think using that to upgrade to a current gen M series would be a much better long term prospect.

-- missed that it was a recent used purchase, so I guess it may not be practicable option then. Hard to say then..

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
My original thinking is that with all this repaired, I should have a practically new machine that will be free of issues. NOW, I'm seeing that logic board issues are relatively common with this model and I'm worried that it will just happen again.

Should I take the refund and purchase another, risking the same issues, or would having a machine that's already repaired be a better choice?
Free of issues - except for the butterfly keyboard time bomb. No longer can get free keyboard replacements (4 years after original sale). I would take the money and run.
If you really want or need an intel MacBook, look for a 2019 16”.

Last edited:

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
At around a $1,500 refund, I would highly recommend that you go with a brand new M-series MacBook of your choice. It will be a far better machine and should last you for a long time. It will also have a full year of warranty and if you want, you can purchase AppleCare for it.

Reactions: KPOM

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
TAKE THE REFUND.
The 2017 MBPs were turkeys.
No other way to put it.

Put that money towards a MacBook Pro 14" or 16".
If you're in the USA, be aware that bestbuy has the MBP 14" on sale now for $1,599.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I agree with others, unless you specifically need an Intel machine take the refund and get an Apple Silicon notebook. Even the M1 MBA will be faster than the 2017 MBP.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
As others have said, for the well known keyboard failure alone, have your money refunded asap. If (no, when) even one key stops functioning then you'll be forced into an entire upper case replacement . Ironically, you'll get a new battery with this repair also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.