Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dabow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Sunny Scotland
Hi folks,

Hoping someone can help me with this. I have a mid-2010 MacPro5,1 6 core Xeon 3.46GHz (64GB RAM) Mac Pro with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4095MB aftermarket graphics card installed running latest NVIDIA drivers. This is the PC version of the card, so I'm running it with the NVIDIA Web Driver which I have to update every time there's an OS update. The original Mac Pro card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120.

I settled on this configuration because I was predominantly using my Mac for photography work at the time, but now I'm doing a fair bit of video work as well using FCPX. Here's the issue - since using FCPX with the GTX980 I get random crashes. FCPX crashes frequently and sometimes my whole system crashes and I get returned to a login prompt. I've spoken with some of the manufacturers of the plug-ins I use with FCPX and sent them crash reports and they've all confirmed that it's the non-Mac version of the GTX 980 that's causing the issues. So, here's what I'm hoping someone more knowledgable than me on Mac graphics cards and hardware in general can help me with:

Can anyone tell me of a genuine Mac card that will work in my machine that will provide the same performance (or preferably better) than my non-standard GTX 980? I've come to the conclusion that the cost saving of the GTX 980 I have just isn't worth the hassle it's giving me now.

I'm considering getting the new iMac Pro in the new year, but for now I need to resolve this crashing issue and invest in a powerful Mac graphics card to get me over this current issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.