Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
On Tuesday night some wine was accidentally spilled on the keyboard of my 2015 MBA. It wasn't much wine, and it was mopped up quickly, but there was a worrying crackling sound from the top right corner of the keyboard area, and the power was affected. By this I mean, it would switch itself on and off, without regard to the power button and it would only charge intermittently.

I left it open and stationary for 2 days afterwards, but now it won't power up, even though it is fully charged.

Is it worth taking to an Apple Store?

Is it a write off?

What can be done?

All advice gratefully received.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hello there! (Obi Wan III/IV reference shamefully intended).

It's worth taking it to an Apple Store to see what the financial damage is. From there you can work backwards and see if it's worth repairing yourself, or just getting them to do it. At the very least, the Genius Bar report would identify the faulty component, so that should save you diagnosing the issue further.

Best wishes.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
Hello there! (Obi Wan III/IV reference shamefully intended).

It's worth taking it to an Apple Store to see what the financial damage is. From there you can work backwards and see if it's worth repairing yourself, or just getting them to do it. At the very least, the Genius Bar report would identify the faulty component, so that should save you diagnosing the issue further.

Best wishes.
SW ref appreciated, my friend.

Thanks for your advice. Sounds like all may not be lost after all (although I do have a time machine back up for my data).

I'll have to make an appointment.

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.