Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lharvest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I'm looking for some advice as to whether it is worthwhile to switch from my XSI to a 30D or 40D. I'd love to move to the 50D, but the cost (even used) is prohibitive.

My primary motivation for switching would be to get a better frame rate and a greater buffer for continous RAW shots. My XSI does a decent job of capturing my kid's soccer action , but I'd like the camera to help compensate better for my own poor sense of timing. :)

Does anyone have any experience as to the quality of shots between these three cameras? I'd hate to take a significant step back in IQ to get the faster speed.

Should I hesitate at all in making the switch? Am I too caught up in megapixels? Am I showing my inexperience? :D

Thanks in advance.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i am selling my XSi today to upgrade. I am most likely getting a 40D. The focusing on the 40D and 50D are the same, the fps are a tad faster on the 40D (6.5 vs 6.3), the buffer on JPEGS is larger on the 50D (i don't shoot jpegs that much, so that doesn't apply to me).

The 5MP advantage is only apparent when enlarging feet by feet. I have heard that the clarity and colours are a tad better on the 40D, but that is all relative to each user. Low light i do believe that the 40D is better. 40D goes to 3200, 50D goes to 120K, i wouldn't use higher than 3200 (even 1600 is pushing it).

The screen on the 50D is a lot better, but not a deal breaker for me. I don't edit my photos on the 3" screen :).

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I would definitely shoot for getting a 40D instead of the 30D. The 30D is still a feasible camera, but I don't think you want to go that far back in technology. Personally I just switched to a 50D (coming from an XSi) and the build quality alone of the xxD series makes me appreciate the camera so much more; meaning that I'd most definitely be satisfied with a 40D even though I'm in love with my new 50D.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
If you want cheap, 20D is ~250 but may not be significantly faster than the XSi.

Personally I would go with either the 20D or 40D. The 40D is faster and has better low light capability (to keep your shutter speed up for soccer), but will cost you ~750 and depreciate down to ~250 over the next 2 or 3 years.

The 30D wasn't that much different than the 20D, but it will cost you ~350 used. I have used a 50D a lot and am not entirely impressed. Sure it has lots of pixels, but at ISO 800 it looks the same (or maybe a little worse) than a 20D. Since I very rarely print, pixels don't matter much to me.

It comes down to whether you have a $250 budget or $750 budget.

I don't know what you have for glass, but a 20D with $500 towards a 70-200 will make for better shots than a 40D through a 7x-300 (or 55-250) when the lights starts to go away.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
If you want cheap, 20D is ~250 but may not be significantly faster than the XSi.

Personally I would go with either the 20D or 40D. The 40D is faster and has better low light capability (to keep your shutter speed up for soccer), but will cost you ~750 and depreciate down to ~250 over the next 2 or 3 years.

The 30D wasn't that much different than the 20D, but it will cost you ~350 used. I have used a 50D a lot and am not entirely impressed. Sure it has lots of pixels, but at ISO 800 it looks the same (or maybe a little worse) than a 20D. Since I very rarely print, pixels don't matter much to me.

It comes down to whether you have a $250 budget or $750 budget.

I don't know what you have for glass, but a 20D with $500 towards a 70-200 will make for better shots than a 40D through a 7x-300 (or 55-250) when the lights starts to go away.

Not trying to slander as you gave good information, but assuming he is buying body only, $750 for a 40D is very high. My month old 50D with 3.5K clicks I got for $850, and that wasn't even that good of a deal. I saw a 50D on POTN yesterday with 9K clicks for $750. I think he could get a 40D with a relatively small amount of clicks for ~$500, meaning he'd have a bit more for lenses or saving for one.

OP, it would help us if you could tell us what lenses you currently own, if you plan to sell any, or plan to buy any in the near future.

lharvest

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I recently purchased a canon 100-400 IS and that is what got me thinking about replacing the body. I love the lens and I keep thinking about what great shots I could get with a camera that was a little more capable.

Don't get me wrong - I am getting great shots with the XSi, but there are many times when the shot I want looks like it fits right between the two shots I got. Perhaps better timing on my part is the key, but if the camera can help...

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Not trying to slander as you gave good information, but assuming he is buying body only, $750 for a 40D is very high. My month old 50D with 3.5K clicks I got for $850, and that wasn't even that good of a deal. I saw a 50D on POTN yesterday with 9K clicks for $750. I think he could get a 40D with a relatively small amount of clicks for ~$500, meaning he'd have a bit more for lenses or saving for one.

OP, it would help us if you could tell us what lenses you currently own, if you plan to sell any, or plan to buy any in the near future.

No worries, my prices were canadian because that's what I know. With the dollar close to par, I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that US prices would be similar.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna

Sorry, a bit off-topic. Where can you see how many clicks a camera has done?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.