Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Well...valentines day is coming and although not the most romantic gift but I am looking to buy my girlfriend a digital camera. The idea is, the camera will be the first gift of the day and so I am looking for one that can be taken out of the box and she can take it out with us and take as many photos as she likes.

However, coming from a dSLR, I'm not sure what to buy her. I am particularly looking for a compact camera that no camera knowledge is required to operate. I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix L18 or either a Canon Powershot A470 or A480.

Can anyone give me advice?

Thanks

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
While I'm no expert in photography, the Canon Powershot SD1100 is a really great camera I've found. I've found their entire compact/subcompact line to be very good, so anything similar to the SD1100 I would recommend.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Well, if you've got the money for it, a Canon G10 (or G9) might be a good call. Great features, but all in a compact camera frame.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
First gift... means more expensive ones to follow... he he

The A470/480 is your best bets. Get the 480 if you can.. its relatively new! They are cheap and real good performers for their value!

Something more expensive.... the A2000 IS is another option!

P.S.: I currently own a Canon DSLR system and a Canon A470 for times when heft is not a permissible option o_O

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
While I'm no expert in photography, the Canon Powershot SD1100 is a really great camera I've found. I've found their entire compact/subcompact line to be very good, so anything similar to the SD1100 I would recommend.

I second this.

The SD1100 would be great for her. I carry my SD750 in my pocket everyday (when I'm not carrying around my SLR)
The SD1100 is a nice size so it can easily be carried in a purse or pocket.
Go for it.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
to me for PnS camera, there is only a few brands I will look into, Lumix, Canon and Oly. Other then that, I dun bother looking.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Hmm, I think I'll get a sex change and become your girlfriend if this is what you do every Valentine's day...

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Thanks for the advice...sounds like the Canon's are my best bet.

Hmm, I think I'll get a sex change and become your girlfriend if this is what you do every Valentine's day...

Lol....well it's our first valentines day so I wanna make it special for her :)

Apple Architect

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
United Kingdom
Making it special for her

Thanks for the advice...sounds like the Canon's are my best bet.

Lol....well it's our first valentines day so I wanna make it special for her :)

If you want to make it one she will ALWAYS remember, then forget it.

Works a treat, and she will remember it forever (although probably with a different boyfriend).

;-)

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
SD1100 in Pink

I gave my brother the SD1100 for his birthday and it is an excellent gift, inexpensive and easy to use. I'm sure she would love it, now the important part is what colour... Pink is probably the safest bet unless you know her favorite colour.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Canon SD 7/8/11xx IS. A-series is too fat and not cute enough for most females, apparently... Or Fujifilm F-series.

I despise Nikon point-and-shoots.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
I just did a bunch of searching for a compact point and shoot for myself (not even close to being a DSLR user over here...), and settled on the Sony Cybershot DSC-T700.

It's compact, looks good, takes excellent pictures, and all that jazz. I have a phobia of cameras with extending lenses since I currently have a Casio Exilim EX-S500 and have had the lens jam twice by having it turn on in my pocket. And lens jam = phone broken until getting it back from Casio = not a good thing.

But yeah, that's my thought, ha.

brendanryder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
Calgary
From the few cameras you suggested i can see you'd like to stay on the cheaper side. The cameras you suggested are very good cameras however, from the minor details you gave i think having a wide angle lens would be very beneficial for you, Especially with the family type pictures. I would suggest spending a little more and get a Canon SD880 IS. Ive seen them as low as $249 Canadian at work, i work in the photo dept at Futureshop btw and i recommend this camera all the time.
It has the new digic 4 process from canon, 4x zoom on a 24mm wide angle lens. It also has a nice 3" screen on the back for viewing those pictures. I have never had one of these returned and they get great reviews.

If you have some extra cash then i would suggest getting the Panisonic TZ5, it has more zoom(10x) and 1 less megapixel (9.1mp). But what is really nice about the TZ5 is the Intelligent Auto feature. Not only does it determine the correct lighting and aperture it auto chooses scene modes. Like when you go to take a macro picture, it switches to macro and increases focus. Or when doing a portrait it will turn on the flash. It also has regular auto and 2 scene presets on the dial.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Wow I feel like a douche now, I'm going to take my girl out and that's going to be her present. =)

I'm going to buy two. One for each girlfriend. Just kidding. I'm married, so that means I don't need to buy presents anymore. ;)

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
All I would suggest is getting a camera with a recharable battery pack. It seems everyone I know with a point and shoot that uses regular AA's is always swapping them and my SD500 I gave to my dad can get alot of pics on a charge.

Also for a "better" gift you should get her a camcorder which will be more fun that night.. wink wink wink

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.