Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lorelai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
USA
I've been trying to research a digital camera for a little while now. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm any closer to making a choice than when I started! ;) It's all so confusing!

All I'm looking for is a simple camera (a few bells and whistles are fine :D ) to take everyday sort of pictures. I would like something that is somewhat portable so I can toss it into my purse or travel bag. I understand that the more mega-pixels, the better the picture and that an optical zoom is better for photo enlargements, but beyond that I'm lost.

I was looking at the Kodak EasyShare cameras, but the Sony cameras seem nice, too. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks so much! :)

Lorelai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
USA
I forgot to ask... will the Kodak EasyShare program run on Intel Macs without using Rosetta? Thanks! :)

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
...more mega-pixels, the better the picture

well... not really. The more megapixels, the bigger the image, but the quality of the image comes down the the quality of the lens and the electronics. You can get 10MP cams in the low thousand AUD, and 8MP cams for much more; the difference is the quality.

What kind of budget are you in? If you want something really nice, with a load of bells and whistles, which won't tear your wallet apart, i can wholeheartedly recommend the Canon S3 IS. Have a look at my deviantart site (link in sig) to see what kind of shot they put out.

Other than that, go to a camera shop, give them a price range, and they should show you the best you can get for your money. :)

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I forgot to ask... will the Kodak EasyShare program run on Intel Macs without using Rosetta? Thanks! :)

I can't find any reference to universal binary on the Kodak site.

My previous camera was a Kodak DX3600, which I used and which my sister continues to use with iPhoto, which certainly is universal. If you ran into any performance issues with the EasyShare software, you would probably be able to get by just fine using iPhoto.

Lorelai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
USA
I can't find any reference to universal binary on the Kodak site.

My previous camera was a Kodak DX3600, which I used and which my sister continues to use with iPhoto, which certainly is universal. If you ran into any performance issues with the EasyShare software, you would probably be able to get by just fine using iPhoto.
Ok, thanks. :)

well... not really. The more megapixels, the bigger the image, but the quality of the image comes down the the quality of the lens and the electronics. You can get 10MP cams in the low thousand AUD, and 8MP cams for much more; the difference is the quality.

What kind of budget are you in? If you want something really nice, with a load of bells and whistles, which won't tear your wallet apart, i can wholeheartedly recommend the Canon S3 IS. Have a look at my deviantart site (link in sig) to see what kind of shot they put out.

Other than that, go to a camera sho, give them a price range, and they should show you the best you can get for your money. :)
That's a nice camera! :) I wonder if my local shop has one I could look at in person. Does it work with iPhoto as well?

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
That's a nice camera! :) I wonder if my local shop has one I could look at in person. Does it work with iPhoto as well?

seamlessly! I think the included software is still a PPC build, but it works fine on my MacBook. They are pretty common, so i would assume that they have them. It's a great camera to work with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.