Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I took a trip to the San Diego zoo today and snapped this picture of one of the pandas. I am really disappointed with how the white on the bear turned out, but I am not sure what I should have done different. It was pretty much high noon at the time. I was standing on the path in shade, the panda was in full sunlight.

What should I have done differently? What editing can I do (all I have is iPhoto) to make it look a little better?

Thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• PandaPhoto.jpg
    PandaPhoto.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 110
  • PandaPhotoInfo.jpg
    PandaPhotoInfo.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 224

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The only thing I can think of would be to turn the exposure down, by speeding up the shutter speed, or decreasing the ISO, when you snap the picture. The background would be basically black, but the panda would look nice.

Attachments

• Zoo 68.jpg
    Zoo 68.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 65

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The only thing I can think of would be to turn the exposure down, by speeding up the shutter speed, or decreasing the ISO, when you snap the picture. The background would be basically black, but the panda would look nice.

Thanks for the reply. I think the exposure is definitely a (big) part of it, but I'm not really sure if that would fix it all?

This one had is a little too, but only on the part of her face that was directly in the light. The rest of her face was on shade and turned out great.

Attachments

• PandaPhoto2.jpg
    PandaPhoto2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 56

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
With so much black in the frame, your camera's matrix metering did the best it could. Other than the head, the exposure doesn't look bad to my eye. Does iPhoto have a "highlight recovery" slider? If so, give that a try.

Really, with difficult exposures, IMO the best thing to do is probably turn on exposure bracketing, if your camera has that.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
maybe a polarized filter would work well to get rid of that 'glare' off the panda. I used one with my picture, but I don't think light was as big of an issue in my case since my baby panda was sleeping in a tree.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
The scene has really high dynamic range... there isn't much you can do about that except for trying to a picture at a different time of day (which isn't always possible)

The picture would be really easy to fix in Lightroom, Photoshop, Aperture, or anything else that can do highlight recovery. It's probably impossible to fix in just iPhoto

Col127

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2003
maybe have used a wider aperture to blur out the background? :) i find there's too much going in in the pic since your subject is the panda... you can still save it by doing a mask in photoshop and then applying a blur. that could work too :)

I took a trip to the San Diego zoo today and snapped this picture of one of the pandas. I am really disappointed with how the white on the bear turned out, but I am not sure what I should have done different. It was pretty much high noon at the time. I was standing on the path in shade, the panda was in full sunlight.

What should I have done differently? What editing can I do (all I have is iPhoto) to make it look a little better?

Thanks for your advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.