Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
What do you guys think of this lens for an affordable wide angle. Reviews from amazon, and Ken Rockwell are favorable, and I think this is the best I can afford! Does anyone out there have any opinions on build, handling, speed, and picture quality?

I am looking to take scenic photos with this lens on a D80 - for pleasure. I currently have an 18-105mm VR and a 50mm 1.8 as my main lenses and would like to round out the collection. What do you guys think?

NEiMac

macrumors regular
The Tokina 12-24 is an excellent lens for the price, Ive read lots of good things about it, and ordered one myself. I'm thinking the Tokina 11-16 might be a better fit for you though with your 18-105, if you can find the thing.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Though a Canonite (and cannot comment on the Nikon aspect) the Tokina 12-24 is a fantastic lens. It is very solidly built (even managed to absorb a nice fall off my desk :( )...

as I've said in other posts, it stays on my camera as a walk around lens most of the time I'm in Europe as its great in the narrow spaces. I can't say anything bad about it, other than 77mm filters are damn expensive.

:)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I can't say anything bad about it, other than 77mm filters are damn expensive.

Well 77mm filters and a bunch of step-up rings are cheaper than buying a set of 72mm filters and a set of 67mm filters and ... ;)

But back to the topic - when I shot with a DX sensor, I was quite happy with the results I got using my Tokina 12-24mm f/4.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well, yeah, but then you can't use a hood at the same time, which is why I ended up purchasing separate CPL and ND filters for three of my lenses.

I have a screw-in rubber hood that works well for this purpose. However most of the time when I'm using an ND filter, I'm shooting on a tripod with a remote shutter release - so I also have the option of shading the lens (if necessary) with my hand, a magazine, whatever.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the advice everyone. Seems like a great lens, so I think I will go for it.

The Tokina 12-24 is an excellent lens for the price, Ive read lots of good things about it, and ordered one myself. I'm thinking the Tokina 11-16 might be a better fit for you though with your 18-105, if you can find the thing.

I was considering the 11-16 for a while because of favorable mentions of this lens as well. However after some thought I would be okay with some overlap so that I can keep the lens on my camera as more of a "walk around" lens that is versatile for the shots I am looking for. I am hoping the wide angle on the 12-24 is good enough for me and I don't get a lemon!

markrowland

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Vermont
I used the Tokina 12-24 for a while (though it was the Canon version, can't see how it could be too different for Nikon). I liked the lens, but while it wasn't anything particularly special, it's an overall good piece of glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.