Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riku7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
I just got my first ever iPod, found a 4th generation Nano in a perfect condition.
When it's not with me in the great outdoors, I'd like to connect it to my speaker system. Now I notice that if I just let it lie on the hard shelves and desks, that back is going to wear out for sure. I'm aware of iPod docks but because I'm new to the whole iPod world, how do they actually work? I was browsing on eBay and I'm not exactly sure what I need; They all seem to have the charger connector and a USB out so they mostly look like charging or syncing stations that either connect to a computer or the charger unit. The jack socket is at the bottom of the iPod right next to the charging socket, so how would I achieve routing its audio to my speakers' audio line in, while keeping it charging at the same time?

Slix

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
There are many, many iPod docking stations from back when iPods were really popular. iHome made some good ones, and there were dozens of other companies that made them too. I have an alarm clock/radio/iPod dock made by iHome that works with every iPod that is capable of charging over FireWire, but some newer ones worked with the newer iPods (like iPod touches) too.

Apple also made iPod docks for various models, but they're all pretty much the same. They have a 30-pin dock connector for the iPod to sit on, and there is a 30 pin connector on the back to attach a wall charger or computer 30-pin cable to, as well as an auxiliary-in headphone jack. Here's Apple's support page for the Universal Dock. I have a few different ones of these as well, and they work quite nicely. Very small, and you can hook them up to speakers which is cool.

Good luck finding one you're happy with! Post photos when you do. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.