Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TBall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I need advice on what camera I should look at purchasing in the DSLR models. I have cameras for over 35 plus years, both SLR and P/S. Most recently an Olympus P/S. Ready to upgrade. Most photos are during travel, vacations, around home with friends, sporting events, etc. Have looked at Nikon D 60 and D90 but open to suggestions based on above as well as lense specs. Thx.

mrclark321

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Sarnia, Ontario
What is your budget? Both are good cameras, if going with Nikon try to get one of the newer lenses with VR. The 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR is the newer kit lens and for a kit lens is supposed to be pretty good, a step up would be the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR. If you want the best the 24-70mm f/2.8G ED is an excellent piece of glass but very expensize. For the long end the AF-S VR Zoom- NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED is excellent value for the money. My recomendation is to find out what cameras you like best and pick up a flash card that will work with them and go to your local camera store, use your flash card in the cameras you like and take some JPEG's, when you are done bring your flash card home and load it on your computer and see what cameras worked best for you. Nikon, Canon and Sony have great cameras, personally right now I shoot Nikon. :)

http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Camera-Lenses/Autofocus/Standard-Zoom.page

http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Camera-Lenses/Autofocus/High-Power-Zoom.page

Dan

ad0rkk

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
I own a Nikon D60, I can guarantee you, it's a spectacular camera. There are two kit lens and they both work great for my needs (I'm an amateur photography). Before I decided on the D60, I was considering the canon xsi. My friend now owns that and it is definitely comparable.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I need advice on what camera I should look at purchasing in the DSLR models. I have cameras for over 35 plus years, both SLR and P/S. Most recently an Olympus P/S. Ready to upgrade. Most photos are during travel, vacations, around home with friends, sporting events, etc. Have looked at Nikon D 60 and D90 but open to suggestions based on above as well as lense specs. Thx.

look at the D80. It is currently discounted and sells at the same price as the D60. In the Nikon line the d40/d60 lacks an n-body focus motor while the d80 and up do have the motor. The motor allows you to use lenses that lack their own motor. So you have to decide which lenses yu want before you can decide if you can use the D60. For me the in-body motor is a "must have" but some people are happy with being limited to Nikon's AF-S line of lenses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.