Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DifferentThinker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Australia
Hello MacRumors, this is my first time here, so please don't be harsh.:)

I have 3 (!) vintage iPhones that have various faults. All of which are activation and network unlocked, 16GB, black, and I have the original box for all 3:

1: iPhone 3GS A1303, cannot read SIM card (probably could be activated through jailbreak, but haven't tried), also a major crack on screen (barely visible when on) and faulty mute switch/volume buttons.

2: iPhone 4 A1332, cracked screen, nonfunctional home button, stuck volume down button, otherwise no functional faults.

3: iPhone 4 A1332, automatically reboots every few minutes, largely insensitive home button (can function if pressed hard), cosmetically very good condition apart from a couple of minor cracks that are barely visible.

I have seen similar items on eBay sold for up to USD 30, so is there any advice for selling them?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I have 3 (!) vintage iPhones that have various faults. All of which are activation and network unlocked, 16GB, black, and I have the original box for all 3:

1: iPhone 3GS A1303, cannot read SIM card (probably could be activated through jailbreak, but haven't tried), also a major crack on screen (barely visible when on) and faulty mute switch/volume buttons.

2: iPhone 4 A1332, cracked screen, nonfunctional home button, stuck volume down button, otherwise no functional faults.

3: iPhone 4 A1332, automatically reboots every few minutes, largely insensitive home button (can function if pressed hard), cosmetically very good condition apart from a couple of minor cracks that are barely visible.

I have seen similar items on eBay sold for up to USD 30, so is there any advice for selling them?

The only advice I can give you, is that you’re selling ‘defective’ phones, then you need to make sure you list exactly what _all_ the faults are for each phone, because if the seller purchases the phone with one specific fault and they find another one that was not listed, that will come back on you.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Various faults? These things are basically non-functional. With all the defects listed who would buy them and why?

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
Those phones are hardly worth anything IMO.

Keep them around, they'll be worth a lot more in a few years - think vintage Braun radios.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

A few months ago I picked up an iPhone 4 from a guy on the T-Mobile reddit for $20.

The only issue with it is the power button.

You are looking to ask $30 for devices with problems AND activation lock.
[doublepost=1546013668][/doublepost]
Various faults? These things are basically non-functional. With all the defects listed who would buy them and why?
Internal parts.

DifferentThinker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Australia
Well, I've decided not to proceed with selling them, I suppose I might keep them and the boxes, and get them repaired sooner or later. I have a couple of faulty PC laptops that I'm sure I don't want and might sell them instead. The reason I though of it is I want to get an iPod Classic, and with those going for like 200+ USD on eBay, I want to get a good deal on one, there are recent auctions that ended up at about 100 USD (confession: I have never owned any kind of iPod before)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.