Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
My dad recently asked me to look at his mac mini because he was getting warnings that his web browser is no longer supported by his online banking site. They are using a 2010 mac mini that we got for them almost 6 years ago running 10.6.8 (I think).

I can upgrade his OS to the latest and then upgrade his browsers, but the machine is also VERY slow. The two options were to get him a new mac mini or upgrade his existing one. I can upgrade the RAM pretty easily, but I don't really want to go near upgrading the hard drive because it's looks a bit more complex for my comfort level.

I don't think he has much stored on the mac, so I doubt hard disk space is an issue. I wonder if replacing the RAM + updating the OS will be sufficient to make the machine usable again or whether it would just be nicer to get them a new mini.

For a new mini, the question becomes whether to even bother with the base 1.4Ghz model which has 4GB RAM (and from what I understand, the RAM is not upgradeable) or get the mid-range 2.6Ghz 8GB model.

Thoughts?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Limited RAM could be the reason why the computer is slow but it could also be the hard drive. You may want to look at a SSD. The SSD could be internal or external. If you don't feel comfortable doing the installation, look for an Apple-authorized service center convenient to you. You can call Apple or go to their website to find some near you. It should cost about $50-$75 (no guarantee on that, however). If you do go the internal SSD route, certain SSD's don't work well with the 2010 Mini - the safest choice would be a Samsung 850 Evo - this period around Black Friday tends to be a good time to buy computer storage. In the case of an external SSD, most SSD's will work - you either need an enclosure or an integrated USB SSD.

If you're looking at the current Mini's, a lot of websites take a lot of memory so 4GB is probably not sufficient for a lot of typical web browsing. The CPU power of the 1.4Ghz vs. the 2.6Ghz is actually not as bad as the raw clock speed would indicate and quite frankly, you may not notice the difference if they had the same amount of memory. The problem is that once you spend $100 to get to 8GB for the 1.4Ghz, you're only $100 under the 2.6Ghz, which also has a better GPU, so in most cases, the 2.6Ghz is a better value. If you go the new Mini route, you might want to consider refurbished computers from Apple. However, the standard Mini models have hard drives, so you may need to go the SSD upgrade route if you find it too slow.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
My dad recently asked me to look at his mac mini because he was getting warnings that his web browser is no longer supported by his online banking site. They are using a 2010 mac mini that we got for them almost 6 years ago running 10.6.8 (I think).

I can upgrade his OS to the latest and then upgrade his browsers, but the machine is also VERY slow. The two options were to get him a new mac mini or upgrade his existing one. I can upgrade the RAM pretty easily, but I don't really want to go near upgrading the hard drive because it's looks a bit more complex for my comfort level.

I don't think he has much stored on the mac, so I doubt hard disk space is an issue. I wonder if replacing the RAM + updating the OS will be sufficient to make the machine usable again or whether it would just be nicer to get them a new mini.

For a new mini, the question becomes whether to even bother with the base 1.4Ghz model which has 4GB RAM (and from what I understand, the RAM is not upgradeable) or get the mid-range 2.6Ghz 8GB model.

Thoughts?
My early 2009 Mac Mini (base model with 1 GB RAM, came with Leopard 10.5, upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6) got very slow after about 3 years. A clean out of accumulated dust, an extra 4 GB of RAM and an upgrade to Mountain Lion 10.8 put things right.

It ran fine for another three years, when it got sluggish again and started running hot, with fans noisily ramping up to full speed.. A clean out put that right. I considered replacing the original 128 GB HDD, but at the shop they suggested leaving it be, and just getting an additional external HDD for storage. I already had an external 1TB HDD for Time Machine back ups, the current one being about half full after several years.

This year I started to have trouble with some websites using the older browsers, so I did the upgrade to El Capitan 10.11, the last to support the 2009 Mini. I had been reluctant to so, given the warnings from erudite posters on MacRumors, who suggested that at least 8 GB RAM and an SSD were needed to have a "satisfactory experience" with a more recent OS. I should not have heeded their sage advice......

Full functionality has been restored to my 2009 Mac Mini; it runs better than it did on earlier OS, without any further upgrade to the hardware. Browsers work fine again, and everything has been updated. The only thing I don't like is that iPhoto which I liked, has been replaced by the first version of Photos, which I don't like at all (updates that come to Photos with High Sierra look to make it much more useful). Might need another clean out some time next year, but sooner or later the HDD (already nearly 9 years old) will fail. Then it might be time for a new Mac Mini, rather than repairing the old one.

So, I suggest.....

Just slip in some extra RAM. Get a workshop to clean out the Mini. They
could also install a bigger HDD or SDD at the same time, if you so desire. Upgrade to the latest MacOS; High Sierra supports the 2010 Mac Mini. It should be good for several more years before it needs replacement.

Last edited:

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
Look up the benchmark of the P8600 Core2Duo. It is slow, but for light use it should still be ok. I would try upgrading the RAM to 4 or 8 GB, and if that doesn’t improve things then call it a day, assuming the HDD is still in good shape.

QuietGamer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
US
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086735-REG/apple_mgem2ll_a_mac_mini_1_4_ghz.html

With the extended return window it may be worth a look see if it will perform well enough for you. Less than the refurb store and no sales tax depending on where you live.

OR

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086736-REG/apple_mgen2ll_a_mac_mini_2_6_ghz.html

Meets preferred specs (except SSD). Both offer longer term OS support than upgrading the current Mini.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._mac_mini_dual_core_i5_2_6ghz_8gb_256ssd.html

Not the cheapest option but will support the new file system the best going forward.

Tough call.

OR....A new Mini is certainly coming!

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
With no Mini in sight, perhaps it's time to suggest that he look at the current lineup of iMacs...

jimray

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2012
Put the RAM and SSD in, do a fresh install of the High Sierra and it will fly. Even if you get a technician to do it. Well worth it in my opinion.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I recommend NOT going with an external drive, since the mid-2010 Mac mini only has USB 2.0 ports.

Upgrading the RAM will make a huge difference (16GB in mine) but changing the HDD for an SSD will also have an impact. You don't need a high-end SSD either, but be careful which brand/model you pick, the intel SSD I bought didn't work with my Mac mini but a low-end Kingston SSD has worked beautifully since ~2015.

Since the mid-2010 Mac mini only has SATA1 you don't need to buy a fast SSD either. Anything will be faster than the stock HDD, which is a slow 5400RPM.

As for the OS, I'm running OS X 10.9.5 on my Mac mini right now and it's not giving me any problems.

Reactions: ActionableMango

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
I recommend NOT going with an external drive, since the mid-2010 Mac mini only has USB 2.0 ports.

Upgrading the RAM will make a huge difference (16GB in mine) but changing the HDD for an SSD will also have an impact. You don't need a high-end SSD either, but be careful which brand/model you pick, the intel SSD I bought didn't work with my Mac mini but a low-end Kingston SSD has worked beautifully since ~2015.

Since the mid-2010 Mac mini only has SATA1 you don't need to buy a fast SSD either. Anything will be faster than the stock HDD, which is a slow 5400RPM.

As for the OS, I'm running OS X 10.9.5 on my Mac mini right now and it's not giving me any problems.

The 2010 Mini has SATA2. The problem with the Intel SSD in the 2010 Mini (and other Macs with the same SATA chipset) is well-known. Certain models of SSD's work and others don't and others only work at SATA1 speed. A model from a manufacturer can work but another model from the same manufacturer may not work. For Crucial, the older models tend to work, but the new MX300 doesn't. I suggested the Samsung 850 Evo because it works in almost all cases and is probably the most popular SSD out there. Right now (likely for a limited time), Best Buy has a 250GB model for $89. Amazon has the 120GB model for $81.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Thanks for all the great advice all. I'm currently updating the 2010 mac mini to el capitan and then possibly to high sierra. considering a RAM upgrade to at least 8GB (~$70 @ macsales or dms).

Thinking about the new macs (thanks for the links/deals) and would probably go for the mid-range ($600 at bhphoto) but I really don't like that the RAM is soldered on. Seems like the 2012 is more future proof because the RAM is user upgradeable but if I went that direction, I'd have to get it used (maybe from macsales or somewhere else reputable). But the fact that my dad hasn't complained about the 2010 mini being too slow with 2GB or RAM tells me that 8GB should be plenty for him for the foreseeable future.

I also thought about maybe just going imac (thanks fishrrman) but the cheapest is $900 which is a little more than I'd like to spend.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
The $599 Mac Mini from B&H is your best bet. You can run it externally on an sad, if speed becomes a concern. For an older parent, you just have to remind them to restart the browser when they start seeing the beach balls, as far as RAM is concerned.

Sadly, I had to do this very thing with the in-laws. I sent a complaint email to Tim, about how seniors are getting screwed with the only affordable option being the pathetic 2014 Mini. He has yet to reply :rolleyes:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Thanks for all the great advice all. I'm currently updating the 2010 mac mini to el capitan and then possibly to high sierra."

If you want that Mini to REALLY drag its feet, install High Sierra onto it.

You best stick with El Cap!

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
The $599 Mac Mini from B&H is your best bet. You can run it externally on an sad, if speed becomes a concern. For an older parent, you just have to remind them to restart the browser when they start seeing the beach balls, as far as RAM is concerned.

Sadly, I had to do this very thing with the in-laws. I sent a complaint email to Tim, about how seniors are getting screwed with the only affordable option being the pathetic 2014 Mini. He has yet to reply :rolleyes:
Right now on for $569. The base 4GB model is on sale for $399, which is a good deal if you can live within its limitations.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I'd not subject any loved one to MacOS with 4 Gigs of RAM and a spinner. Apple should be embarrasses to even offer it for day to day use by people as a main computer.

In fact, for Christmas this year, I'll setup the in-laws with an external SSD for their sad 2014 Mac Mini

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
I'd not subject any loved one to MacOS with 4 Gigs of RAM and a spinner. Apple should be embarrasses to even offer it for day to day use by people as a main computer.

In fact, for Christmas this year, I'll setup the in-laws with an external SSD for their sad 2014 Mac Mini
I don’t disagree, but I bought mine for $399 and then put in a SSD. Does light duty as a time machine backup server.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Personally I wouldn't spend $70 to upgrade a machine that old, the additional RAM is unlikely to make a very noticeable difference. I have a base model 1.4ghz 2014 mini that I use as an iTunes server - just sits there and runs iTunes with home sharing 24/7. It's fine for that, but is very sluggish for anything else so I would avoid it.

I'd agree 2.6ghz Mini with 8gb RAM would be a nice upgrade and it will also give you a warranty and AppleCare eligibility if desired. You can add a fast USB 3.0 external SSD and that will really make it feel fast. This should cost less than getting an original Apple internal SSD (although if the price doesn't concern you, that would be best). A year ago I gave my daughter's family my 2012 base model Mini after upgrading to 16gb RAM and a 500gb Samsung T3 external SSD. Was just there for Thanksgiving and they're still very happy, it feels fast for the basic things they do. The 2014 2.6ghz model will be even faster, although unfortunately you can't upgrade RAM yourself.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

I don't know exactly why nobody seems to mention this, but the 2010 mini does sport a FireWire 800 port. This is about twice as fast as USB2; I used an external fw800 enclosure when I had a 2010 mini, and it worked fine for me.

But yeah, time has moved on since 2010, and modern ports are much faster.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Right now on for $569. The base 4GB model is on sale for $399, which is a good deal if you can live within its limitations.

did it drop to $569 somewhere or did you mean $599? Let me know if it's $569 somewhere - I'll go for a price adjustment.
[doublepost=1511586800][/doublepost]
OP wrote:
"Thanks for all the great advice all. I'm currently updating the 2010 mac mini to el capitan and then possibly to high sierra."

If you want that Mini to REALLY drag its feet, install High Sierra onto it.

You best stick with El Cap!

Whew, thanks for the heads up Fishrrman, I will not update to High Sierra. How come High Sierra is bad on Mac Mini? Is it only the Mac Mini, or should I not upgrade any of my other devices? (2008 Mac Pro, 2012 MBP)

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
did it drop to $569 somewhere or did you mean $599? Let me know if it's $569 somewhere - I'll go for a price adjustment.
[doublepost=1511586800][/doublepost]

Whew, thanks for the heads up Fishrrman, I will not update to High Sierra. How come High Sierra is bad on Mac Mini? Is it only the Mac Mini, or should I not upgrade any of my other devices? (2008 Mac Pro, 2012 MBP)
Check B&H - might have expired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.