Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
So today I received my 16" MBP and im pleased with the performance, keyboard, speakers etc. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is the temperatures while just watching a live stream on twitch. On the 15" the average core frequency is running at 2.1GHz and the average temperature is around 49c (PKG) while on the 16" the average core frequency is at 3.3GHz and average temperature of 65c (PKG). The 16" is also using more watts at around 2-3 times more. All this is just watching 1 twitch stream. I use Mac fan control to start the fans speeding up from 60c up to max speed at 90c. Am I going to have put up with these temperatures and fan noise?

Are these temperatures/frequencies normal for the 16" 2.4? What settings do you use on Mac fan control?
And is 85c safe to run for a couple of hours at a time or longer?
Thanks.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
Iv noticed running boom 3d equaliser is making the MacBook use more frequency which in turn making it run 5-10c hotter but sill getting up to 60c just watching 1 stream. Still 10c hotter than the 15". Maybe its the extra 12 watts of power that the 16" can use. It seems watching video even at 1080p is an demanding task for an mbp

Rashy

Suspended
Jan 7, 2020
Fun coincidence - I just (finally) purchased Boom 3D after having used it from... "another source" for a longer time. Current price of 9$ is worth it definetly.

Anyway, I can confirm that Boom takes some CPU capacity but not much. Actually only 2.5-4% on my iMac 5K 2017, a little bit more (4-7%) on my MBP 2015 while watching youtube videos or listening to music. I don't think it is affecting temperatures that much in my case. During DJing (Serato) I am deactivating it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.