Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DD88

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 6, 2022
My mum has had her iPad for about 6 years now I think (possibly longer) and it’s starting to show it’s age and is quite slow. I’m not sure what model it is, I think it’s just the iPad but yeah its old. Now I was considering getting her a new Air but if she found out I paid £569 she would go nuclear. I was thinking of then getting her an iPad mini which I didn’t even know existed until tonight but then I was thinking it’s only around £100 cheaper than the air and its possibly going to be too small?
She doesn’t need a pro, all she uses it for is to maybe take the odd picture of her dog and surf the internet, and occasionally play the odd game and send emails on it. So specs wise we are talking bare minimum here for her needs , but anything I buy even at the lowest spec will be lightyears ahead of her current model.
Do you think in the upcoming months there may be any deals on an iPad air or mini or will I have to pay what the prices are as of today. I was thinking maybe Black Friday there may be some offers on but I’ve never purchased apple tech on Black Friday so I don’t know. I know it’s only August but planning for Christmas right now as it’s an expensive product and want to make sure it’s something she would like.
She has a Samsung phone too and can use that as well but she is old fashioned and just uses it for ringing people , so she does like her iPad as it’s a lot bigger and she is more comfortable with it , so maybe a mini wouldn’t be too bad ? Any thoughts appreciated

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
For her use case, why not go for the standard iPad model? It's still going to be leaps ahead of her current iPad and you won't have to spend as much as you would for a Mini/Air.

Reactions: DD88

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Bigger screen is better for older eyes, the iPad will get an update but the price will increase. Get the iPad now it will last years.

Reactions: DD88

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
If you are planning this as a Christmas present, I'd buy the 10th gen iPad that should be coming this fall (next month?). There is a redesign expected to match the flat sides of other iPads, and it will be friendly priced, giving you a bigger screen than the mini and only a bit smaller than the Air for a fraction of the price. It doesn't seem like your mom needs anything more powerful than the base iPad, so I'd go with that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.