Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
Hi All,

I've got some old photo albums lying around and before the originals fade with time I have decided to scan them to my Mac and store them in iPhoto.

1. Any advice on what's the best scanner and scanning resolution

2. Any good application I should look at?

Cheers

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
To get the highest quality I would consider outsourcing your scanning to someone... they'll have all the highest end equipment, which you won't want to buy for such a small project.

-T

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
You can get great quality scans from many scanners these days. I did the same thing you're talking about with my Epson RX500 (all-in-one). Did prints and slides and Epson's hardware photo restore capabilities were great for 20-year old slides. The biggest drawback was the time it took, but the results were perfectly acceptable as far as the quality of the scans.

Just don't skimp and buy a cheap scanner, something mid-range will do much better.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
The Epson Perfection 4490 Photo Scanner is a very good scanner at a reasonable price. We used these in my last photography course to scan color and b&w negatives, as well as 3X5 prints, and slides. I then printed 8X10's out of the scans. Though I did use Photoshop to color balance/touch up/etc.

Before I quit using the scanner I took some negatives that I had from 16 years ago when I went to Washington D.C. and made prints from them. They turned out great even though I had never taken care of them.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
I've gone with the Nikon Coolscan V and I am very happy with it. There are some issues with scanning negatives including scratches and color saturation. The Nikon touches up during the scanning process saving a lot of photoshop time

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
What resolution is best to use? How much resolution is actually in even a good print to be captured and useful in printing? (assuming that cropping and enlarging may be desirable where possible).

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
What resolution is best to use? How much resolution is actually in even a good print to be captured and useful in printing? (assuming that cropping and enlarging may be desirable where possible).

Highest possible.

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
I'm trying to do the same thing. The biggest obstacle is the tedious process of scanning on a flatbed. I've been trying to find a photo feeder scanner that automates the process but I keep finding old products or really expensive ones.

Anyone know of a good quality scanner with a photo feeder for less then $250? Something like this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,115427-page,1/article.html (that one is from 2004)

I've read so many stories on various forums about how some poor soul spends months scanning all their old photos manually one at a time. Come on now, where is the automation?

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, so I'll add some advice too.
-Any resolution above 300dpi is good. The higher it is, the slower the scan and larger the file. I've read that saving as a .tiff file is best because it uses loss-less compression unlike jpeg. Burn the images to a dvd and then import/convert them to a jpeg so that they don't fill up your hard drive. That way you will always have the original scan backed-up. Make 2 copies if you really want to be secure.
-Scan the negatives if possible. Then will have higher quality then the printed photo. There are scanner attachments for this purpose.
-Backup your data often!
-As for the software application, most scanners come with their own. I need to do a little more research to find a better alternative.

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
mahonmeister - That's great advice, I still have not found a good scanner - What I do have is multifunction HP2840 Laserjet printer [link]. It has a good scanner at 1200 x 1200 dpi and prints at Up to 600 x 600 dpi but I'm still convinced that a dedicated scanner with possibility of scanning negatives is the way to go.

Other than that I have been seduced by those midrange HP-all-in-one inkjet printers like the HP Photosmart C8180 All-in-One [link]with high scanning resolution and good printing quality, but I'm still not sure what's best...:confused:

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
As a temporary measure,

Plop down the album, open a page & take a photo of it with your current digital camera.

It won't be great resolution, but it prevents procrastination of never getting around to doing anything.

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.