Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capio-Lumen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
I have had the Canon 5D for about two years now and about 5 months ago my AF points started to go dim, Didn't think much of it and over the last 5 months they have all but vanished. I have done extensive searches on google and Canon's website to no avail.

Talked on the Ph with one of canon's techs and went through all the trouble shooting possibilities( AI servo mode, Custom function settings, menu mode settings) with no luck. I did run into one thread on another website that talked about an illumination screen and the fact that it might be out of line with the focusing screen, when I mentioned this to the Canon tech he really didn't know what i was talking about.

I'm guessing this is not a very common problem and the person that replies with the answer ( or solution) will have had the same problem.

Thanks guys, -k-

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
In my recollection, there was a setting for AF point brightness - somewhere in the custom menu settings. I know that isn't too specific, but I've adjusted mine before (can't remember if it was on the 1D or 5D)

Good luck!

S-Man

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
Houston
There is no option on the 5D MkI to turn on/off AF point LED's.
I did a quick search and couldn't find much. I did read of the LED's going out on abused 5D's or mostly on 400D's. I, too read the one about the mis-aligned focusing screen. If it's not reflecting correctly on the right prisms, perhaps you don't see it or it's dim.
It's not unheard of for the LED's to go out though.
Sorry for your trouble in such a fine camera.

burtininkas

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
I also have the same problem here with my 5d. The AF points are very dim, I can use viewfinder only in low light environment. But in a sunny day its totally unusable.
I think of changing focusing screen. If it fix my camera, I will write here for you guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.