Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canthatenuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Both Nikon and Sigma make a 50mm prime lens that will focus with my D40, after reading a few reviews they both seem to be held in high regard. Does anyone here actually own one and can anyone make a knowledgeable recommendation as to which one I should buy?

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I just got the nikon version on wednesday. I can say it's a very good lens with some outstanding results on the d40. It feels well made. I've not had chance to try it out in all situations but so far it's looking good.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Both Nikon and Sigma make a 50mm prime lens that will focus with my D40, after reading a few reviews they both seem to be held in high regard. Does anyone here actually own one and can anyone make a knowledgeable recommendation as to which one I should buy?

If you go to forums such as Nikongear, Nikonians and NikonCafe... the general consensus is the Sigma has slightly better IQ...better bokeh and faster AF.

The Sigma is bigger / heavier and uses a common 77mm filter. The Nikon 50 1.4 afs uses an *odd* size 58mm filter....requiring many people to buy new filters. Bummer.

If you don't mind the extra weight, get the Sigma.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The Sigma is bigger / heavier and uses a common 77mm filter. The Nikon 50 1.4 afs uses an *odd* size 58mm filter....requiring many people to buy new filters. Bummer.

Who uses filters anymore now that we have digital cameras. OK I polerizer in some cases but my who collection or "warmming filters and by red, yellow and green filters are in a box (some place)

Just buy a 77mm pol. filters and get step down rings for the smaller lenses.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Who uses filters anymore now that we have digital cameras. OK I polerizer in some cases but my who collection or "warmming filters and by red, yellow and green filters are in a box (some place)

yea..you're right, but still a pain in the booty.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area

I use my ND filters occasionally, and I have some Cokin grad ND filters that see occasional use. Then there are those who believe taking photos through a scratched up UV filter is better than being careful to avoid scratching the front element of the lens... (not me - I'm careful)

Agreed on standardizing on 77mm and buying step down rings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.