Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaseMaryBD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2019
Hi All

Need some assistance please. I think my young daughter has been playing around with my Macbook Pro (Mid2010) and trying to guess the password. When I went to log in last night the password would not work.

I eventually rebooted and it kept happening. So I went into CMD - R on start up to Disk Utilities and ran first aid on the OS X Base System and it completed (At this stage I was not really sure if it was a pssword lock out issue). I then tried to reboot but no lock. It just hung on the apple logo. I then went back to Disk util and tried to reinstall Mac OS but it got to the creen that asks you to select the volume or drive on which to install MacOS but there was nothing there. No option

I then exited that and went back to Disk utility and noticed that the Main volume was showing as AppleAPFSMedia. I went to that to run First aid and would not do it. Gave an error.

So I thought I would try to restore it. It then gives a pop option Would you like to resort "AppleAPFSMedia"?
there is a drop down menu against Restore from that has Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB Media, which I know is my drive. Then the options are IMAGE, CANEL or RESTORE. See image

upload_2019-3-22_0-27-22.png

So my questions are:
Would all my data still be on this Volume (I get that may be a crytal ball type question)
What does this screen actually mean
What is the difference bewteen Image and Restore on this pop up

Any help very much appreciated

Thanks

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
A) How many curds are in a block of cheese? It sounds like your SSD is faulty but it could be anything.

B) Disk Utility has the ability to capture from a disk and either record it to an image file, and/or restore back to a (potentially different) physical disk, ensuring all permissions, owners, etc are all set correctly.

C.1) The "Image" button is will open a prompt to select a previously-created image.
C.2) The "Restore" button will start the restore process.

I suspect what you want is to try to restore from a time machine backup.

JaseMaryBD

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2019
Thanks Stephen.R I figured that was the response with Q1. :)

Can you tell me if c.1) Image Button is destructive. Has this the potential to erase anything on my drive?

Thanks

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks Stephen.R I figured that was the response with Q1. :)

Can you tell me if c.1) Image Button is destructive. Has this the potential to erase anything on my drive?

Thanks
The "Image" button is only useful if you're going to restore your disk from an already-existing disk image. The Restore button will erase your disk completely and replace it with the contents of either that drive or the disk image you've selected.
The symptoms you're describing do not sound like a problem your daughter could have caused. Do you have backups of your data?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think you misunderstand the meaning of "Restore". Its purpose is to copy the contents of one volume to another. It does not fix disk problems.

That said, it seems like your SDD might be hosed, though I can't understand how a child banging out passwords could have caused it. You might need to reformat your internal SSD and then restore from backup. Follow Apple's instructions:

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-a-volume-dskutl14079/18.0/mac/10.14

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
That "Image" button is a file picker for the dialog, to select a new source. That's it - it should say "Choose Image" to be clear.

If you mean to capture an image, you want a different command (File > New Image > New Image From ...) but I don't know if that's even available from the recovery mode version of Disk Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.