Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordysak

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2021
Im a music engineer and I’m currently working with a client abroad. He sent me a Logic Pro project , alongside its files (so the whole folder), for me to mix stuff. The reason I’m worried is because he clearly stated that he downloaded his Logic Pro via a pirate website, so basically a cracked version. Am I safe to open his files on my MacBook?

My MacBook is the M1 Pro version.
Currently running Logic Pro 10.6 something.
Should I be concerned about anything? Is there anything that could damage my Mac?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I would not open any of those files. Never put yourself at risk, even for a client. I would delete them and kindly inform him, that you would really like to help him with his project but, it needs to be done with properly purchased software.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
does big sur have a feature that checks any imported file for "bad things"?
/my macbook stopped stopped at Mojave

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I have never heard of a virus, or malware, being distributed via compromised Logic project files.

Reactions: g-7 and wys

wys

macrumors member
May 31, 2021
I understand that there *could* be some risk, but honestly I have never heard of something like this happening. If you are really worried, load it on some "burner" device first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.