Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatjuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
After suffering from the bubbled & snowflaked LCD Screen, I found someone who can replace it with hi-res version. Since the logicboard of my previous 1,5ghz only recognized 1 slot of RAM (a problem which Apple also admitted) I upgraded my logicboard as well.
Then, when I paid and my PB is returned, I found out that RAM slot are fixed, and the processor become 1,83 MHz. :)

It works okay. The guy also replaced the old bluetooth with the new version.
Anyone tried this before? Will this one be okay in the long run?

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
After suffering from the bubbled & snowflaked LCD Screen, I found someone who can replace it with hi-res version. Since the logicboard of my previous 1,5ghz only recognized 1 slot of RAM (a problem which Apple also admitted) I upgraded my logicboard as well.
Then, when I paid and my PB is returned, I found out that RAM slot are fixed, and the processor become 1,83 MHz. :)

It works okay. The guy also replaced the old bluetooth with the new version.
Anyone tried this before? Will this one be okay in the long run?

View attachment 2025735

View attachment 2025736

View attachment 2025737
A long time ago there were some third party companies that were able to upgrade/overclock the Aluminum G4 laptops. This was offered as a service. You sent in your laptop and they did the upgrade and sent it back.

I would guess you found someone like that that did this for you, because the highest clock speed that the G4 laptop ever reached stock was 1.67Ghz.

Congrats! You now have a rare and sought after PowerBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.