Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I was hoping someone can give me some tips on how to import files straight from my 5D Mark II onto my Mac. Went on holiday recently and brought along a macbook and external hard drive with plans to export files to the external harddrive via the macbook when the CF card got full. Upon actually doing it I realised the only import feature was using iPhoto. Not only did it take a long time to import, but it only took one version of the file, the 5D mk2 has the option to save a RAW and smaller JPG(you end up with two files of the same photo) when you shoot. I normally do a straight copy paste of all the files when its connected to my PC but I can't do that same with the Mac. Other than loading into bootcamp to view the camera as a storage media drive, is there another solution?

thanks.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Buy a card reader. If you want speed and have a firewire connection, then buy a firewire based CF card reader from Sandisk or Lexar, otherwise get a USB 2.0 one. The card will show up as a drive in Finder and you can do whatever you choose at that point.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Thanks for the replies, wasnt after a hardware solution as I can easily just go into bootcamp and do it.

Havent tried Image capture, will give it a go tonight. Does it extract the files from the camera straight to a folder in the computer?

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Image Capture?

definitely......that's what I've used for years

.... Does it extract the files from the camera straight to a folder in the computer?

yes....I set it up years ago and I'm thinking I had to set a preference to open image capture instead of iphoto when the camera was attached, and that I had to tell it which folder to download to....but now it's pretty much automatic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.