Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kobby2k6

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Northern Virginia
Is anyone else having this issue? In IOS 12 and prior versions, whenever I edited a video in the photos and trimmed it, there was always an option to save as a new video or save the original video as the trimmed version. With IOS 13, whenever I trim a video, the original video saves as the trimmed video and I don't have the option to save the trimmed video as a different or separate video. Does anyone know if I am just not seeing the option or if apple removed the feature?

Reactions: IowaLynn

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm thinking iOS 13 acts more like MacOS Photos app has for a while, in that it saves the trimmed video non-destructively and you can revert to the original if you like.

If you want both, maybe duplicate the video first, then edit it?

EDIT: Yep, I just confirmed this. I trimmed a video yesterday, and just went to it and hit Edit and it shows the whole video with the trimmed part selected and I can adjust the trimming or revert to the original entire video if I like. So now editing videos in iOS works more like editing photos did before. Definitely an improvement over iOS 12!

kobby2k6

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Northern Virginia
I'm thinking iOS 13 acts more like MacOS Photos app has for a while, in that it saves the trimmed video non-destructively and you can revert to the original if you like.

If you want both, maybe duplicate the video first, then edit it?

EDIT: Yep, I just confirmed this. I trimmed a video yesterday, and just went to it and hit Edit and it shows the whole video with the trimmed part selected and I can adjust the trimming or revert to the original entire video if I like. So now editing videos in iOS works more like editing photos did before. Definitely an improvement over iOS 12!

Thanks for the reply but I was aware of that (trimmed original video being able to be reverted back to original form). I have a friend that records our basketball games with my iPhone and it was great to have the option to save the trimmed part as a separate videos without duplicating the whole video. These basketball videos are usually around 2GB and I trim them after reviewing them to save the highlights out of the videos. i have been doing this for years and personally this is annoying change for my use case. I don't mean to come off rude but I am just saying but I appreciate the feedback.
[automerge]1569268263[/automerge]
Does the original show up in Recently Deleted?

The original video doesn't get deleted, the original video trims (without giving option to save as a separate video) and can be easily reverted back to its original length or size.

Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I’m having this issue too, very annoying. I‘m surprised there’s no way to save the trimmed version without the original. Hoping someone knows the answer to this :)

Edit: found a workaround. Exported the video to Dropbox and copied it back. The copy from dropbox doesn’t contain the original

Last edited:
Reactions: Super Spartan

kobby2k6

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Northern Virginia
I’m having this issue too, very annoying. I‘m surprised there’s no way to save the trimmed version without the original. Hoping someone knows the answer to this :)

Edit: found a workaround. Exported the video to Dropbox and copied it back. The copy from dropbox doesn’t contain the original

Thanks for the workaround but that would be tedious and annoying if you don’t have enough cloud storage. I have no idea why Apple made this change. One of my biggest annoyances of iOS 13
[automerge]1573484359[/automerge]
This is an infuriating change. Luckily a reddit user has created a guide to working around it, including notes about which methods preserve metadata: https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/d9jzto/_/f1za92g
This desperately needs to be fixed. Video file size is the number 1 killer of iOS and iCloud storage space and trimming long videos is about the only effective way of dealing with that.

I hope so too, it’s an intentional change which is annoying and dumb. I record hours of video whenever I play team basketball and not being able to trim out the highlights sucks

Ukagr

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2017
yep this change is for the birds. There have been other issues when uploading edited videos. It seems that the user trims the video and uploads it to some social media platforms and the WHOLE video gets posted without the edits!!

And in my use case there is an issue uploading to YouTube. I do educational screen recordings from my iPad and if you try to trim the video and then upload you get an upload error. If you don’t edit them they upload just fine.

This is starting to get tiresome. Work around for this, workaround for that. There shouldn’t need to be a work around for removed functionality. It should just work, right?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
This is an awful change. Video takes up a huge amount of space. If I only want to keep a small snippet that would consume a fraction of the space I should be able to.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
iOS 13.3 beta 3 has something most would appreciate.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.png
    IMG_0096.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 193

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Yes, I can't wait. One of my biggest gripes with IOS 13. Thanks for the update, how is the beta in general?

I found the 13.3 betas to be really good overall for my usage on iPhone 8. No visible crashes or unexpected behaviour for me. Betas 2 and 3 have been polished well and that option to trim and save as new clip solves my single gripe about iOS 13.

Reactions: kobby2k6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.