Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CEOofApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
So during Christmas, I decided to upgrade my laptop for no good reason, and I was successfully able to do it with the help of some websites. Before the upgrade my mac was a MacBook Pro (13 in, Mid-2012), the processor was 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7, and it had 8GB of ram. When I did the upgrade, I upgraded to 16 GB ram, and swapped out the hard drive with a 995GB SSD. As soon after doing so, I realized that the laptop was hotter than usual. At the most random times my laptop would lag. If I had notes, it would lag as well. Along with the lag, came the heat. Its very painful to put the laptop on my lap (as I usually do). Can someone see what the problem is?

EDIT 1: Activity Monitor Image: http://i.imgur.com/AvDHaJ1.png

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
A SSD and more RAM should not have any effect on heat output. Something else is wrong.

CEOofApple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2014
A SSD and more RAM should not have any effect on heat output. Something else is wrong.

Thats what I thought, but I don't want to open up the bottom again. Also, I forgot to include one thing: after the upgrade, there were weird sounds coming from the mac, as if something fell out. Opened it up to check, and boom, nothing was there. Happened several of times actually, and I am going to go to the Apple Store soon. Also whenever I hear the sounds, if I move my mac, it sounds like they are falling to the side, which all of a sudden magically starts the fans.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Put all the stock components back in. If it still happens then you likely damaged something during the upgrade. If the problem goes away, then one or both of the upgrades are not compatible with your system.

Then again, since you are the CEO of Apple, you could just get somebody in IT to fix it, or get them to setup a new system for you. (That's what I'd do.)

Reactions: Goatllama

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Most likely is the fan is not running properly (or at all), from your description it sounds like something is jamming it? You will have to pull the bottom off to check what you messed up. (or take it for repair). Agree the components you put in should have had no detrimental effect on heat output.

Reactions: Dead0k

BeastMode335i

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2016
Florida
I didn't think we could upgrade ram in 2012 mbp? I have a late 2012 rMBP and I was told it's not possible because the ram is integrated..

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I didn't think we could upgrade ram in 2012 mbp? I have a late 2012 rMBP and I was told it's not possible because the ram is integrated..

You can't upgrade the RAM on a rMBP. You can upgrade the RAMon a MBP. In 2012, Apple sold both the rMBP and MBP.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP, sounds like maybe the fan's are not running, could it the cable to the fans was unplugged or damaged during the upgrade process?

As the other member mentioned, put the original components in to see if the temps go back to normal, then upgrade one component at a time to narrow down the cause.

Reactions: Goatllama
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.