Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnrc75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
Hi, I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on a mid-2014 MacBook Pro.

I have a VPN and while using it I navigate the Net but when I disconnect from the VPN I can't access the Internet. Can you tell me how to rectify this situation? Sorry if this has been addressed in other threads but I looked and couldn't find any reference to it. Perhaps that means it's fairly simple for you to answer and I'm a bit of a simpleton. That's OK - thanks in advance!

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
+1 for the kill switch feature, I use that and only pause or disable my VPN if there are no other alternatives for a given site which is very rare. /cough MacRumors giveaways /cough

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Helps to include the name of product. Most have Settings and built in Help as well. One reason is to prevent an actor, 3rd party, from bypassing or disable to get around VPN. Did it start happening, changed behavior after recent Mac update or from the app?
10.14.x supported?

tnrc75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
Does the VPN have a kill switch that needs to be disabled?
It does have a killswitch that is enabled. Is that the problem? If I disable that might the Internet work when I disconnect from the VPN?

tnrc75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
Helps to include the name of product. Most have Settings and built in Help as well. One reason is to prevent an actor, 3rd party, from bypassing or disable to get around VPN. Did it start happening, changed behavior after recent Mac update or from the app?
10.14.x supported?
The name is GhostVPN. I don't think it's any feature of the app because the same thing was happening before a Mac update - it's been happening at least a year that I know of. It's Mac compatible.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It does have a killswitch that is enabled. Is that the problem? If I disable that might the Internet work when I disconnect from the VPN?
Killswitch, when enabled, will cut off access to the Internet with the VPN is not running.

If you disable the killswitch, the computer will have access to the Internet regardless of whether the VPN service is or is not running.

Reactions: IowaLynn

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The point of the killswitch is that if you're in the middle of something that you do not want exposed to your local network or to the internet provider through which you're connected then the VPN becoming disconnected will not expose you…because your network access is now blocked.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Thanks for the useful info. The killswitch is not something I currently have enabled. But I had wrongly assumed it killed selected applications from communicating data if the VPN dropped, not that it killed all internet access.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks for the useful info. The killswitch is not something I currently have enabled. But I had wrongly assumed it killed selected applications from communicating data if the VPN dropped, not that it killed all internet access.
Some VPN service apps provide for "split tunneling", also. This is where you can choose which apps are sent through the VPN (whitelist method) or choose which apps aren't (blacklist). In the case of the Private Internet Access service app only the apps going through the VPN are affected by the killswitch.

Reactions: Big Bad D

tnrc75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
The point of the killswitch is that if you're in the middle of something that you do not want exposed to your local network or to the internet provider through which you're connected then the VPN becoming disconnected will not expose you…because your network access is now blocked.
Thanks very much - even with the killswitch disabled though, the Internet doesn't work. I will try and get my VPN to provide more assistance in explaining how to resolve this situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.